We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cambo Gardens  (Read 1797 times)

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
Cambo Gardens
« on: September 23, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »
Previously I'd only heard of Cambo in relation to their snowdrops. However, a weeks holiday in the East Neuk gave us an opportunity to visit its gardens for the first time. I can recommend it to anyone, with the perennials putting on a particularly good display during our visit in both the walled and prairie gardens. There was also a good show of autumn bulbs, including lots of Cyclamen and Colchicum.

A fine perennial border
The prairie
Perennial plantings in the walled garden
Cyclamen hederifolium
Colchicum speciosus album
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Roma

Re: Cambo Gardens
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 07:39:03 PM »
I've just checked when I paid an autumn visit to Cambo with the Friends of Cruickshank Garden.  It was September 29th 2009.  Like you Matt I was very impressed.  It is a garden well worth visiting in late summer or autumn.  We were allowed into the private garden where there is a long border of perennials and grasses.  We were told it was cut down with a strimmer in winter and then (I think) gone over with a mower to create a mulch.  I had never seen so many butterflies as on that day.  We then went on to Kellie Castle,  a much smaller garden but with lots of buddleias covered in butterflies.   
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 07:47:40 PM »
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »
Cambo Walled Garden

Now considered to be one of the finest in Scotland Cambo walled garden attracts many visitors though all the seasons. Managed by  head Gardener Elliott Forsyth, the naturalistic plantings give a modern edge to this traditional Victorian garden. With the Cambo burn running through, spanned by three bridges, the walled garden offers an oasis of calm for garden visitors and house guests alike.

The garden is run not just as a world class visitor attraction but also as a centre of education through the Cambo Heritage Trust. 

Cambo garden is open to visitors from 10am-5pm every day.

The estate has been the seat of the Erskine family since the late 1670s. The house was brought up to its current high standard by Sir Peter & Lady Catherine Erskine who, at the beginning of 2015 retired to the farmhouse at Cambo Farm. Cambo remains a family business and home and is currently run and occupied by Struan and Frances Erskine.

Lady Catherine Erskine is a well-known galanthophile and the gardens are  famous for the  Cambo snowdrops. 
http://www.camboestate.com/estate/the-garden

From Willie Campbell:

Another great Scottish Garden from the East Neuk, Cambo Gardens on a misty day. These woodland plantings are the ideal bridge between snowdrops and daffodils through to the wonderful creative perennial and grass plantings in the walled garden at Cambo. As gardeners we need to take ideas and inspiration from this early season plantings.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 01:29:21 PM »
some more ....
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 06:58:00 PM »
Visit of Castle Cambo
In september 2016 we visited Scotland and Castle Cambo and found, that there are offered Snowdrops all over the year (Snowdrop - Caces) :-)
The Castle with the surrounding woodlands and walled gardens is perfect and a wonderful place to visit. We will see this Castle next february, when the snowdrops are flowering!
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 07:41:23 PM »
At the fag-end of October, we had our first ever visit to the Fife coast staying with friends at Anstruther. I can't believe we missed this gem. Our hosts are rather birdy so wasn't on their radar but it's certainly on ours for a return visit.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal