We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Frit. meleagris... aquatic????  (Read 3011 times)

Michael

Frit. meleagris... aquatic????
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:27:07 PM »
I have a friend that is currently growing his meleagris inside a pot that is submerged in the lake, and they are flowering!! I though they were growing on humid soil, but not on waterlogged conditions. Do you think the plants will theive in the long term? This is the first year he is growing them...
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Frit. meleagris... aquatic????
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 12:48:02 PM »
I'll be interested to hear what others have to say on this.... I'd have thought that they wouldn't survive for very long at all if they were totally submerged.  If the bulbs were above the water level and the roots were below water level I think it would go OK while in growth, at least to some degree, but I would be assuming that at dormancy the bulb would just rot?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
It may be the LAST year that he grows them...
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 12:55:29 PM »
As I understand it, the last remaining Fritillaria meadows in England are fairly damp, which has always made us surprised that these frits are so happy in our dry, very compacted driveway......but there is all the difference in the world between a damp meadow and a lake! I would expect death of these frits to occur sooner rather than later. :'(

This reminds me of how i have heard of Gentiana sino-ornata flowering in very watery situations in China.... but if one attempted to recreate those conditions in cultivation, there would be no success.... just because a plant can be seen at a certain point in its growth cycle in a particular state, be it totally waterlogged or baked solid, it does not mean that it could, or would survive those conditions all the time!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

SueG

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:25:52 PM »
The famous frit meadows in Emgland are often called water meadows but sometimes Lammas meadows (not yet found out why - but see link below) and they can be in flood anytime in the winter or spring. I found a DEFRA web page with a picture of a meadow at Cricklade covered with water with the frit flowers standing proud of the water surface.
These meadows could be very wet during 6 months of the year but would dry out in the summer so I guess this is how the bulbs survive as autumn, winter and spring they will get very wet but will be growing and the water level won't be continuous.
The other possible point is that while these meadows are famous (and wonderful when in flower) they could represent the relict sites for the plants which simply have escaped any other form of cultivation, maybe the frits were happier somewhere slightly less damp, but these meadows have all been used up for intensive farming/housing/industry.
Lammas meadows - info here http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/hereford/reserves/luggmeadow.htm
So frits arn't water plants but will stand temporary flooding
Could be the last year your friend grows them unless they do get some 'dry' time. . .
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Michael

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 12:28:55 PM »
Thanks a lot for the help, now i understand why they are "apparently" happy!
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Ezeiza

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 02:05:36 PM »
A number of bulbous plants are temporarily "flooded" in the wild mainly at flowering time.

Alpines are a good example but that is mainly ice water.

Best wishes
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 09:58:26 PM »
North Meadow at Cricklade in Wiltshire is the most famous of the British water meadows in which F. meleagris  grows. A few years ago it was  estimated to contain about 5 million plants, three-quarters of the entire British population.

In his book on Narcissus, John Blanchard has a fine photo of submerged N.jonquilla  flowering away happily (p76).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:23:00 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal