We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 10831 times)

Roma

October in the Northern Hemisphere
« on: October 03, 2017, 02:19:45 PM »
Having just read the discussion started by Ian McDonald in the Members Board I think it's time I started showing more pictures on the Forum.  Back soon.  New bed has arrived!
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

Re: October in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 03:08:59 PM »
A narrow border at the roadside.  I've planted fairly thickly but there are still gaps. 
A bit of colour at the far end
Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' and Schizostylis coccinea (can't get the new name into my head).  There are still flowers on Geranium 'Rozanne' and I think Verbena bonariensis is one which survived last winter.  The red gladiolus in the centre is (I think) 'Cladia' another survivor from last year.
At the end nearest the drive Succisa petteri from Gothenburg Botanic Garden seed is still flowering.  It is a bit invasive but under control so far.  The seed heads are as attractive as the flowers.
Another Gladiolus 'Black Velvet' is flowering for the third year.  Only one this year bit there are two robust looking plants nearby so maybe more next year.

Roma

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 03:10:50 PM »
Autumn colour on Menziesia ciliicalyx 'Honshu Blue'
Salvia 'Amistad'

Carolyn

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 03:25:27 PM »
I bought Honshu Blue last spring. Mine is still green. Autumn seems to be a week or two ahead of us up in Aberdeenshire. Thank you, Roma, for showing what I can look forward to.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 05:37:39 PM »
Roma, I have avoided Salvia 'Amistad' because it's reputed to be tender and I don't have room to keep it in the greenhouse for the winter. Do you risk it outside?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Roma

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 06:53:09 PM »
I tried it a couple of years ago and it didn't survive the winter.  I liked it so much I bought 3 young plants from Sarah Raven in the spring.  They were excellent plants and thrived in the pots till I got round to planting.  It is a bit late but I will try a few cuttings.  It has grown so well I would be happy to buy it every year.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 07:00:17 PM »
'Amistad' came through the winter unprotected here so certainly worth trying outside.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 07:46:32 PM »
Thanks Roma and Gail. If it would cope with our moisture then it should be able to cope with our temperatures. I'm tempted to try it next year.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ikizzeki

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 08:25:25 PM »
Antalya, Turkey..There was no rain so no bloom.  But I have watered and here is difference..:)

ikizzeki

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 08:46:32 PM »
ID please..
Antalya, Turkey,26,09,2017

edit: ID given in Cyclamen page as C. cilicium

(Thanks so much Maggie for editing )
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:39:52 PM by ikizzeki »

meanie

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 06:52:08 PM »
David - Amistad is pretty much at the limit of its hardiness here in the UK although I do suspect that drier winters would see it's cold hardiness improve. It also needs to be sited where it can catch any early morning sun that may be going in the winter. I've found its parent S.gesneriiflora hardier but sadly that is a autumn/winter/spring bloomer so that sort of treatment is pretty pointless.

The photos of Swainsona formosa were taken a few days ago but it continues to look just as good today. I can't believe how long each bloom lasts...............
Swainsona formosa by longk48, on Flickr

Swainsona formosa by longk48, on Flickr

Salvia atrocyanea................
Salvia atrocyanea by longk48, on Flickr

West Oxon where it gets cold!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 07:36:26 PM »
David - Amistad is pretty much at the limit of its hardiness here in the UK although I do suspect that drier winters would see it's cold hardiness improve. It also needs to be sited where it can catch any early morning sun that may be going in the winter. I've found its parent S.gesneriiflora hardier but sadly that is a autumn/winter/spring bloomer so that sort of treatment is pretty pointless.

Thanks for that meanie, it proves the point of what Gail said as she is based in Norfolk. Think I shall give it a miss.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 09:15:43 PM »
I will try to upload a larger image, see how it goes. The bee-licious Allium thunbergii 'Ozawa'.
590795-0

It worked very well, the initial size was 1000x750. Very hard to count the bees even when seen big size.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:17:30 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 07:27:07 AM »
I bought Salvia 'Armistad' last summer here in New Zealand and planted it out in a mixed border. I also bought another identical in every way except colour, which was a rich maroon. They were a lovely pair BUT both succumbed to our southern winter, - 5C which is actually not so much but combined with a horribly wet winter as well and it may have been the combination that did the job. Usually salvias are pretty good here, even the Mexican and southern USA species. I may try them again if for sale this coming summer and perhaps do cuttings before planting them out because they are super plants.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 06:19:45 PM »

The back part of our house is completely gone now. The last of the concrete foundation has been hauled away and now there is only the final cleanup before we start planting our new garden.  8)

The remaining part of the "sun room" now has a window. We love the light!  :) The other opening will have a full length window door (more light  :)  ). Now we need to save up for the attached greenhouse and aviary. This is provide solar heat during the winter, a place to move tender plants during the winter, a place for our birds to fly around (we have flighted birds), and a place to start early spring vegetables and other plants that might want warmth to get started.

The garden can now get some much needed attention. Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue' has been blooming for some time now. Other autumn blooming Savias are also looking good too.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal