We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pulsatilla patens  (Read 6550 times)

Olga Bondareva

Re: Pulsatilla patens
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 03:18:35 PM »
Kathrine

That shuts are made by Sony S85. Now I've got Canon 40D.
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 06:49:32 PM »
Maggie, thank you very much for your wishes.

Olga, you have really fantastic photos, but they are killing me... When I was searching for this species I watched so many photos that I got sick for this species. Looking on every another photo and in addition so beautiful make me sick even more. :( How can I get this species. I will do almost everything.

Susan, I really admire you that you could search for a plant for 20 years. I have today my 20th birthday. I simply cannot imagine that period of time. I would rather get crazy. :]

Do I hear some seeds offers?... :)

Lesley one question to you. Are you sure for 100% that you have P. patens? I know that I could not ask so fine grower, but I must. :)
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

My photos: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/cephalotus/

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 07:08:10 PM »
Krzysztof,
What I meant is that I have ordered it nearly every year and managed to kill it each time, never getting it to flowering size.
Maybe the European forms are easier to grow but harder to obtain seed. I had a look at this years seed and yes it is germinating but already some are looking sick. I have sown it in pure perlite to try and stop  rotting off before at least the true leaves have formed, doesn't look if it is working  :(
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 07:08:36 PM »
Krzysztof

Lesley talks about yellow-flowered plant. So it is Pulsatilla flavescens = P. patens ssp. flavescens. P. patens is violet.

Happy birthday! :)

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 07:14:28 PM »
I wonder! I sow P. patens and P. flavescens and many other pulsatillas every year for selling. They germinate in ordinary soil and grow well. Did you try fungicides?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 02:39:00 PM by Olga Bondareva »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 08:27:46 PM »
I have what I grew from both AGS and SRGC seed (could be same source however) as P. patens. All have been lemon coloured with a greyish, purplish back, not unlike P. albana but the leaves are different from that. I'll take a pic soon of the foliage (it's still not fully light here at the moment.) I also grew one batch as P. p. flavescens and the only one which survived was pure yellow, a good deep shade but that too eventually died.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 08:38:02 PM »
The more I see of Olga's picture - which are lovely - the more I'm sure that mine is NOT P. patens after all. Back to the drawing board! :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 08:40:50 PM »
I have been commissioned by a neighbour to look out for certain plants for her at Edinburgh plant stalls this Saturday.....she is after a good red P. vulgaris...... I don't expect there will be P. patens... but then again, never say never!! ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 10:12:22 PM »
Olga, thanks for this wonderful pics!
Some years ago I could obtain a yellow P. patens but it never bloomed in my garden in Germany and I lost it after 3 or 4 years - pratensis, vulgaris or halleri were much happier in growing there ::).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 10:20:50 PM by Hans A. »
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal