We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: RHS early spring show London  (Read 2792 times)

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
RHS early spring show London
« on: January 01, 2018, 11:03:45 AM »
It would appear snowdrops and not potatoes are going to have a staring role this year at the RHS early show in London , anyone know if just anyone can donate a pot of snowdrops to show or do you have to be asked ?
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: RHS early spring show London
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »
https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/rhs-london-shows/rhs-early-spring-plant-fair

Rare and unusual snowdrops will be donated from gardens around the country, and will hang amongst an immersion of other snowdrops.

Eh???  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »
"Shows to give you inspiration" - so says  the RHS !

"We have put big plans into action for the RHS London Shows, offering visitors more to see and do. The funds from their ticket sales* is being invested in supporting our charitable aims such as helping future gardening apprentices.

These shows, held at both the RHS' Lindley and Lawrence Halls, are now ticketed events costing £5 for RHS members (in advance and on the day), and £6 for non-members (£9 on the day). The RHS is committed to growing the next generation of gardeners and, in line with this ambition, the funds from these tickets will help pay for RHS Apprentices, to enable young people to follow careers in horticulture."

The 2018 line-up

In 2018 the RHS will be introducing a new Art and Photography Fair. This RHS London events line-up, also being held in both RHS Halls will be:

RHS Early Spring Plant Fair on 13 – 14 February (Late event 12 February)

RHS Orchid Show & Plant Fair on 6 – 7 April (Late event 5 April)

RHS Plant & Art Fair on 11 – 12 July (Late event 10 July)

RHS Urban Garden Show on 27 – 28 October (Late event 26 October)

There will also be one smaller RHS Gardening Event, which members and the public will also be able to visit for free:

RHS Harvest Festival Show on 2 – 3 October         
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

brianw

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »
You apparently have to contact jillotway@rhs.org.uk about plant submissions at shows.

Maybe you will get in free too ;-) Now there's a thought ;-)
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 05:20:24 PM »
The Westminster shows are not worth visiting anymore. £5 entrance fee was the last straw for me.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

emma T

Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 08:53:23 AM »
Rare and unusual snowdrops will be donated from gardens around the country

I immediately wonder where they mean by "gardens around the country".  That could, I suppose, just mean the 4 RHS gardens but these are not well-stocked with rare and unusual snowdrops and if they are only sourcing the snowdrops internally then it is disingenuous not to say so.  I also wonder if "donated" means that the snowdrops will not be returned; that is certainly what the word implies.  In which case who would want to do this?  And if so, what will happen to these snowdrops after their stint on display?  I can see why Emma T is intrigued; me too.

I did not go to the show last year and like johnralphcarpenter, I am annoyed by the fact that RHS members now have to pay to get in.   
Almost in Scotland.

emma T

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 10:51:16 AM »
I will keep trying to find out anymore information .

David Lowndes

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 12:42:36 PM »
I went in 2015 and 2016 but won’t go again. Disappointed both times.

emma T

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 01:26:31 PM »
It's not what it once was , still I enjoy going and bumping into friends . I'm not sure they have really thought this through .

emma T

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 06:14:17 PM »
We are donating some snowdrops for this from work . They will be displayed somehow in clear plastic globes . I'm still intrigued .

Anthony Hawkins

• Isle of Man, well drained soil, 28 in/year av.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 08:07:46 PM »
I found last year's show completely pointless, this seems to be planned as twice the size so I hope they have put some effort into it. At least there will be an opportunity to buy snowdrops this year.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal