We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hexham Show 2008  (Read 39420 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Hexham Show 2008
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 09:13:51 AM »
Thanks to Peter for organising a super show yesterday, and to Chris for the pictures so far.  Sorry I didn't get to meet you Chris, but your avatar doesn't help to recognise you   ;D  ;D 
OK, I know my current one doesn't, but I am waiting for "someone" to take a flattering one of me to replace the treacle pudding version.  I realise this is an incredibly difficult challenge!    ::)

I had a problem with my camera at the show and didn't realise until too late that all my pictures were coming out too dark.  Back home and searching through the manual, I realise that an icon appearing on the screen looking like a shower head indicated that it was set for external flash.  As I don't have an external flash, I don't know how or why it had got this setting but I do know that most pictures were no good.  However, I got a few pictures in the final few minutes, although they are not very good quality, sorry.  To start, here's 2 pictures for this week's Caption Competition
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:55:04 AM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 09:55:35 AM »
Yes, hearty congratulations to Peter for organising such a splendid show yesterday. A wonderful drive down through Northumberland in the early morning sun - quite made up for the horribly early start. But here comes yet another excuse for not uploading pix: I left in such a hurry yesterday morning that the one item I did forget was the camera..... :-[ :( :(

Such great plants on the bench. Lots of dionysias, primulas in particular. The Frit bucharica in Ian Kidman's 6-pan class was outstanding - must have been more than 20 'stems'. The Hepatica nobilis (David Boyd), featured in one of Chris' pics, got a certificate of merit, but he also showed some fine specimens of Hepatica acutiloba which in my humble opinion were even better!!

Sections B and C had some excellent plants too - some of which would have done very well in the open section. So that's all very encouraging.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 09:56:16 AM »
Hi Diane,

You are much better off leaving my appearance to your imagination  ;D, but so sorry I missed you.  I saw nothing that looked like a treacle pudding whilst I was there, and I did the raffle duty for an hour at the busiest time too.  Course, I didn't win the raffle, I never do, but there were tickets on the prizes at the end so someone sure did.  Managed to get hold of some more armeria seed too, from the surplus stall.  Must get on and sow them today.  Do you have any way of telling me the provenance of the seed by any chance, all wild collected.  Just in case you can, the ones I got were A. maritima alpina (Martin Hughes); A. multiceps (Ralph Rackstrah) and A. alpina (Dieter Zschummel).  As I'm starting (hopefully) a national collection, it would be nice to have this sort of detail.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 09:58:36 AM »
Hi Dr. Rock,  Yes, you are probably right about David's plants, but that one of H nobilis was the most wonderful colour, and the photo isn't too far away colour wise either.  I didn't touch it up at all.  Too many wonderful plants, too small a memory card.....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 09:59:24 AM »
Hi Diane,
Do you have any way of telling me the provenance of the seed by any chance, all wild collected.  Just in case you can, the ones I got were A. maritima alpina (Martin Hughes); A. multiceps (Ralph Rackstrah) and A. alpina (Dieter Zschummel).  As I'm starting (hopefully) a national collection, it would be nice to have this sort of detail.

Yes, I can give you information about AGS wild collected seed.  Best thing is to pm me with the AGS numbers from the packets, and I will do what I can.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 03:36:33 PM »
Hello Folks, some pix received from President Ian from Hexham.
Don Peace' Androsace muscoidea

Alan Newton being supervised as he makes some last minute tidying to an exhibit

A wonderfully marked leaf form of Trillium rivale ..... maybe from Geoff Mawson, if I guess correctly ?

Cymbidium goeringii ..... a suberb little hardy Cymbidium with oodles of prescence and charm, which won the SRGC 75th Jubilee award ( for a plant from China or Japan in this case) for Wilma and Jim Wright, who are shown in the photo with President Ian and Show Secretary Peter Maquire. 
Many congratulations to  the Wrights and all the other exhibitors.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2008, 05:07:30 PM »
Here's another doing his weekly shopping ... 

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 05:08:54 PM »
Not much wonder that Waitrose needs a cashpoint!

You can see in this last shot of Diane's just how wide an area that supermarket draws its customers from  ;).... there's  Lionel from Blackpool, the bearded chap behind is Sam Sutherland from Kincardine and in the far background, AGS President Frank Tindall, from Huddersfield, is chatting with Ian Bainbridge, from Edinburgh.... not too many stores can boast so far flung a clientele, eh?  8) ::)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 06:03:21 PM by Maggi Young »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2008, 07:08:20 PM »
Good to see another lad from Huddersfield doing well!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2008, 07:17:07 PM »
David, you just cannot keep talent like that hidden!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2008, 07:30:07 PM »
I know. I know! :-[
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »
A small selection of pictures, all I can do this time   :-[

Firstly, a couple of splendid hybrid Cyclamen.  David Boyd is a superb grower of hepaticas, and cyclamen.  His plants always look very large and very healthy. 
Cyclamen schwarzii (C pseudibericum x libanoticum)
Cyclamen wellensiekii (C cyprium x libanoticm)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2008, 10:19:16 PM »
some frits
Fritillaria crassifolia karaghadensis - I think the name of this is now F (crassifolia) kurdica? shown by Peter Farkasch
Fritillaria fleischeriana neat little striped job shown by Mike Bramley
Fritillaria albidiflora - interesting Chinese species shown by Alan Furness.  Looks like an albino version of something else

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2008, 10:22:14 PM »
A general view
and a mini garden from the maestro of the craft, John Dower (sorry for blurry pic)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 10:29:53 PM by Diane Clement »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2008, 10:24:29 PM »
Diane, your description of David Boyd's plants sound rather like the Boydie himself..... large and healthy!! Happily I hear he is now keeping in better health after he was poorly recently....though his plants escape such mishaps as befall the man himself..... hope the new central heating boiler arrives, soon, David!!

No-one seems to be taking you up on your earlier caption competition so I'll make a start....
 first pic...... "AGS and SRGC sources announced today new measures to assist their ageing Membership  to continue exibiting......"

second pic........."Mr Ian Kidman after  his winning Supermarket Dash"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal