We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Seed Exchange 2017-2018 - Number 71  (Read 27932 times)

odvdveer

Re: SRGC Seed Exchange 2017-2018 - Number 71
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 04:22:48 PM »
I hope I did the correct thing by adding the additional numbers for the main set of seeds to the surplus list as well. It is because those are seeds I like to get and if I get most of my first 16 I gathered I wouldn't be  getting the second choise seeds if I didn't. It would be nice to have the option next year to be able to indicate that for the second choice seeds you don't get you'd like them on the surplus list because now I have a chance of getting 2 packages of them.

Love the irises, would have added them to my choices if I had seen them before

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 06:58:42 AM »
I love these iris too! they deserved to be in my list. and I'm counting on you, Gordon, for next year ...
but there are so many beautiful things in this list!

Carolyn

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2017, 09:51:55 PM »
I hope I did the correct thing by adding the additional numbers for the main set of seeds to the surplus list as well. It is because those are seeds I like to get and if I get most of my first 16 I gathered I wouldn't be  getting the second choise seeds if I didn't. It would be nice to have the option next year to be able to indicate that for the second choice seeds you don't get you'd like them on the surplus list because now I have a chance of getting 2 packages of them.

The seed team has thought about this. I have done the same as you each year - putting some seeds on the second choice list and the same ones in the surplus list. We have tried to simplify the system for our order picking team, to speed things up and to reduce the chance of errors. Our team of about 15 people work for approximately 10 days, so anything we can do to make the job more straightforward is good. We print off the main orders and the surplus orders on separate sheets of paper as they are dealt with separately. If both orders are on one piece of paper there is a chance that volunteers may pick from the wrong part of the list, so we do not do this.
I suggest that you become a seed donor next year, then your main order can be for 25 packets. The more you donate and the more years you donate means that you move up the list to have your order picked.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

odvdveer

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 10:37:38 PM »
The seed team has thought about this. I have done the same as you each year - putting some seeds on the second choice list and the same ones in the surplus list. We have tried to simplify the system for our order picking team, to speed things up and to reduce the chance of errors. Our team of about 15 people work for approximately 10 days, so anything we can do to make the job more straightforward is good. We print off the main orders and the surplus orders on separate sheets of paper as they are dealt with separately. If both orders are on one piece of paper there is a chance that volunteers may pick from the wrong part of the list, so we do not do this.
I suggest that you become a seed donor next year, then your main order can be for 25 packets. The more you donate and the more years you donate means that you move up the list to have your order picked.
Thank you, I dont want to make things more difficult for the team but I thought I had missed some option when entering my choices. I became a member to late to donate this year but I wil certainly try to donate seeds next year.

Carolyn

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2017, 02:53:12 AM »
Thank you, I dont want to make things more difficult for the team but I thought I had missed some option when entering my choices. I became a member to late to donate this year but I wil certainly try to donate seeds next year.
That's good. We always need new donors!
Carolyn McHale

Mini bulb lover

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 02:17:35 AM »
I have ordered my seed online. Thank you to everyone behind the scenes! Unfortunately there might be a hiccup in receiving the seeds here in Australia which I was only made aware of after I'd ordered.  :(

The Australian government department tasked with checking imported seeds has decided to make a change, just in time for the seed exchange.

“Seed arriving through the mail and as passenger baggage will need to be commercially packaged and labelled with the full botanical name (genus and species). Alternatively, a phytosanitary certificate, supplier’s declaration, International Seed Testing Association (ISTA) certificate or Naktuinbouw Authorised Laboratories (NAL) certificate that lists the botanical name of the seed can be presented.”

I emailed them asking for their definition of a “supplier’s declaration” and the response was:

“A supplier’s declaration is more easily understood when described as “a declaration provided by the supplier of the goods”. This could be in various forms and is commonly presented as a letter from the supplier on a letterhead and is signed, dated and includes the name and address of the supplier.“

Therefore, it seems putting the botanical name on each seed envelope is no longer enough. Very frustrating, especially with such short notice. I don't expect the seed team to make any changes for this exchange (I can't remember if the attached SRGC letter is signed and on letterhead?). It will be interesting to see if the seed is stopped. It seems an unnecessary requirement to me.

The alert can be found below. Although it is stated as a “trial”, their plan is to make it permanent.

https://bicon.agriculture.gov.au/BiconWeb4.0/ViewElement/Element/Alert?elementPk=796077

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:28:14 AM by Mini bulb lover »
Jon Ballard
Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - Australia

Lover of small flowering bulbs.
"Good things come in small packages"

Carolyn

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 07:39:30 AM »
Jon,
Thanks for pointing this out. We will do our best to comply. Luckily the seed packets all look quite professional now with the full botanical names. We just need to make sure that the covering slip has the seedex manager's name address and is signed and dated. We can manage that! Please give feedback in due course to let us know how it works out.
Carolyn McHale

Mini bulb lover

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 11:30:09 AM »
Thanks Carolyn!  ;D
Jon Ballard
Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - Australia

Lover of small flowering bulbs.
"Good things come in small packages"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 12:26:56 PM »
 From  Jon in  the SH thread ....
  For other Australians on this forum that don't know, there's been a change to the seed import conditions. Luckily the SRGC seed team are going to look after us by complying with the change (thanks seed team!). The AGS and hopefully NARGS will also be okay. But if you order seed that isn't commercially packaged from somewhere else you should let them know that they need to include a sender's declaration.

The AGS seed team is up to speed with this and has  provided such details as now required for some time, I think.
The SRGC sends  details of the  provenance of the seed, e.g. from the Seed Exchange of SRGC etc,  with all seeds, I believe.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lewis Potter

• Go Fourth, Work Hard and Smile.
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 08:09:58 PM »
Strange that everyone else's registration and ordering went smoothly. However I haven't received the activation email yet. Outlook and Gmail are very moody at times. Lewis.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2017, 08:12:57 PM »
Strange that everyone else's registration and ordering went smoothly. However I haven't received the activation email yet. Outlook and Gmail are very moody at times. Lewis.
Your ' live ' email may have scooped it to a spam filter  Lewis - I have activated  your account now - happy seed choosing!!
 Most  problems  that were experienced in previous years  with such things have been eradicated now, I'm glad to say, yours is the first I've had !

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2017, 07:59:43 AM »
Your ' live ' email may have scooped it to a spam filter  Lewis - I have activated  your account now - happy seed choosing!!
 Most  problems  that were experienced in previous years  with such things have been eradicated now, I'm glad to say, yours is the first I've had !
Hi Maggi,
that's because we've directed emails to the seed Team rather than to you.
I have the same problem this year - the activation email did not arrive - no, not in the spam/junk filter. David said that some work emails don't allow them through - possibly it was removed before filtering down to my email folders.
Strangely David doesn't keep the same hours you do so wasn't able to respond to my email till 8am your time, but was able to activate the account so problem solved
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2017, 08:03:34 AM »
had the same problem with email@GMX.net
Now i use an other provider and have no more problems.
Bernd
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »
Hi Maggi,
that's because we've directed emails to the seed Team rather than to you.
I have the same problem this year - the activation email did not arrive - no, not in the spam/junk filter. David said that some work emails don't allow them through - possibly it was removed before filtering down to my email folders.
Strangely David doesn't keep the same hours you do so wasn't able to respond to my email till 8am your time, but was able to activate the account so problem solved
cheers
fermi
  And I've told you- and others - many times before that work email addresses OFTEN do not deliver automated emails  or those with active links in them - but nobody listens.

Many of the difficulties that were faced previously  for those using  hotmail etc  have been eradicated thanks to work from Fred.   

SRGC has no control, however, over those email providers who routinely scrap automated emails , or work email systems that do the same.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:31:39 PM by Maggi Young »

GordonT

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2017, 05:00:30 PM »
Well, everything worked seamlessly for me this year (first time I haven't had to call for help from Maggi  ;D), it worked via chrome browser and gmail. Now if only the drop down menu from the tabs on the main SRGC site would display so all sub headings show up!
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal