We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Seed Exchange 2017-2018 - Number 71  (Read 27924 times)

GordonT

Re: SRGC Seed Exchange 2017-2018 - Number 71
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2018, 12:28:53 AM »
Main seed distribution arrived today. Many thanks to the Seedex Team for a job well done. We all owe you much gratitude!
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

David Sellars

• Mountain Flora
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2018, 01:12:21 AM »
Still no seeds here on the west coast. But it takes Canada Post a good two weeks to get mail from Ontario to BC so hopefully all is not lost.
David Sellars
On the wet Pacific Coast of British Columbia, Canada

Feature your favourite hikes at:
www.mountainflora.ca
Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MountainFlora/videos

sippa

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2018, 11:46:37 PM »

I received my seed last week and I was surprised that the main request and the surplus arrived in the same envelope.  Thank you for your hard work.

Marianne
Vermont US
Marianne gardening in Vermont, USA

KK-Ann Arbor

« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »
I received an envelope with seed packets on February 7.
Posted on Jan. 23; arrived at NY inspection station on Jan. 29; released on Feb. 2.
Not bad at all!.

Thank you everyone who were involved. 
Even though it has been constantly snowing for the last couple of days, it must be a sign that we are moving closer to spring!!.

I am still waiting for my main selection along with additional surplus requests.

I have been receiving seeds for the past several years both from SRGC and AGS, for the first time I noticed 3 out of 50 packges in the envelope were opened and resealed.

in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - USDA Zone 5a

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2018, 10:23:36 AM »
Unfortunately 2 packets removed - I've just sent a note to the authorities with an explanation of P x chamaeleon as donated by Leena

Fermi, if you don't get them, I will send you fresh seeds in the autumn.  :)
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »
From another thread- 
Well, the Australian Government has finally done it - only commercially packaged seed allowed in from 25 January 2018 (or seed with a Phytosanitary certificate).  :'(

https://bicon.agriculture.gov.au/BiconWeb4.0/ViewElement/Element/Alert?elementPk=815125

Very sad news. We won't go down without a fight though.

I have passed this info on to the rest of the Seedex team.  Do keep in touch if you hear anything else.

I would hope that the neatly labelled packets of SRGC Seed Exchange seed would now  be acceptable to the  Australian authorities - a clear reason to illustrate what a great idea it was to institute this  improvement  in service to all members.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
Another comment from the  Southern Hemisphere thread :
The SRGC Seed Exchange envelopes are great. Last December the Australian department that monitors agricultural imports made a change that a “supplier’s declaration” was also required which the SRGC Seed Exchange team graciously provided. Now they state that they will only accept the declaration from commercial suppliers.

I think this change seems to be less about bio security and more about reducing their workload. As a first step we’ve recommended that AGS Victorian Group members (and anyone else affected) contact their local federal member of parliament to ask for this change to be reversed. The committee will soon meet to determine future action.

I would also suggest that, as stakeholders, the SRGC and AGS send letters to the minister for Agriculture and Water Resources, David Littleproud MP. Explain the impact of this change and ask for it to be reconsidered.
https://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Parliamentarian?MPID=265585

I think this change is a threat to our bio security because it could increase the black market on  imports. When has prohibition ever worked?

I hope the SRGC Seed Team will be bringing all this to the attention of the SRGC President, since he would be the  main person to write  concerning SRGC fears on this  matter.

Members may contact  the President, David Rankin by email via this link 

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »
Sue Gardiner‎, near Palmerston North, New Zealand  posting in the  Friends who like Scottish Rock Garden Club page on Facebook:

This speed maniac Cypella herbertii has flowered in almost exactly one year from SRGC seed!
605866-0

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2018, 03:51:51 PM »
More on the Australian  seed import regulations - from Jon Ballard :

"Good news here regarding seed imports into Australia. From 3 March 2018 we can import seed (on the allowed list) from organisations, not just commercial entities. The last SRGC seed exchange complies with the new regulation (include the botanical name(s), dated, signed and on letterhead). Sellers sending seed to Australia need to include their company name on the letter. It needs to show that it's a paid order, not just one individual sending seed to another."

Details: https://bicon.agriculture.gov.au/BiconWeb4.0/ViewElement/Element/Alert?elementPk=823443

AnJo11

« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2019, 11:48:56 AM »
hello Maggy,
I perfectly thet's late, but do you know if it is always possible to oder some seeds?
 and also, because I am always traveling betwen mid january til march, how it is possible to place an order for next year?
thanks for advance...

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2019, 12:04:14 PM »
hello Maggy,
I perfectly thet's late, but do you know if it is always possible to oder some seeds?
 and also, because I am always traveling betwen mid january til march, how it is possible to place an order for next year?
thanks for advance...
Hello AnJo, sorry,  it  is  only  possible  for  Scottish Rock Garden Club Members  to order  seeds  from a Seedlist  during the  "open" period  of that particular  Seed Exchange.  It is not  possible to order  seeds  late, or in advance.  This would  in any  case  be impossible, since the  only  seeds offered each season are those  donated and  listed each year - so the  list and  numbers  change all the  time. The  Seed Teams  work for  each season exclusively and then the  volunteers  get a rest!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:06:28 PM by Maggi Young »

Carolyn

« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2019, 01:17:20 PM »
Anjo,
The next seedlist will go online and you will be able to order at the end of Nov/  Dec.The seed orders are  sent out by the end of January, so your seeds would be waiting for you on your return from your travels.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal