We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Conophytum  (Read 2097 times)

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
Conophytum
« on: June 18, 2017, 07:42:37 AM »
Firstly forgive me if Conophytum are not regarded as true alpines! Last autumn at AGS Harlow Carr, Steve Walters exhibited a beautiful Conophytum praesectum, does anyone know where I can purchase this and others of the same genus
Many thanks
Lawrence

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Conophytum
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:39:46 AM »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Darren

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:47:39 AM »
Hi Lawrence,
You could try Conos paradise in Germany, as David says. The two main amateur dealers with the best range in the uk were Terry Smale and Chris Rodgerson. Both still maintain websites and Chris has galleries of amazing habitat pictures. Sadly both have stopped selling plants, largely because the Chinese have gone mad for conophytum and they could not cope with being swamped with orders. Terry still sells some on ebay but the prices get snowdrop silly, again due to far eastern bidders. Brian Fearn has a cactus nursery , Abbey Brook, and has a national collection of conophytum there also.

The best thing you could do is join the Mesemb Study Group which has excellent seed and plant exchanges. Conos are reasonably easy from seed but cuttings are also very easy to root. So you could find an enthusiast to get some cuttings from. This is the point where I tell you I have around 100 conophytum taxa and would be happy to send you some cuttings at the right time of year, usually october.

Incidentally, conos are best treated as strict autumn to winter growers in the uk. Mine are currently dormant and will get no water until early august.

Please send a pm if I can help with more info.

Praesectum, like many in the former genus Opthalmophyllum, does not clump very quickly so seed may be a better option, though general cactus nurseries often have it.

Sorry I have not included links here, I am typing on the ipad and it is a bit awkward. I could send links when I get pack to the PC.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:52:12 AM by Darren »
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

GordonT

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 01:07:23 PM »
Lawrence, if you are up to the challenge, "Mesa Garden" has an extensive seed catalogue. Conophytum seed is found grouped with other mesembs. Their website can be found here

www.mesagarden.com
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Darren

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »
Mesa do have the best commercial range of seed and it is very good. Be aware that they are having the same issues and conophytum orders were being badly delayed earlier in the year when their list was published, likely due again to being swamped with orders. Also they changed hands recently with the retirement of founder Steve Brack. So whilst I would still order, don't expect a rapid response.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 07:12:28 PM »
Many thanks, David , Darren and Gordon for all the information. I am supposed to be rationalising my collection to make it easier to look after, but alas I can feel another obsession coming on 😳😳, never mind at least I am amongst other "plantaholics" 😜.
Thanks also Darren fo the offer, I will PM you shortly

SJW

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 11:54:05 PM »
Firstly forgive me if Conophytum are not regarded as true alpines! Last autumn at AGS Harlow Carr, Steve Walters exhibited a beautiful Conophytum praesectum, does anyone know where I can purchase this and others of the same genus
Many thanks
Lawrence

Hi Lawrence, got your email, I'll be in touch. Here's the plant at the Harlow Carr show.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 06:07:25 AM »
Wow!!!!!! Better than I remember Steve

ruweiss

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 10:21:17 PM »
Uhlig Kakteen at Kernen, Germany offers many different species of Conophytum.
www.uhlig-kakteen shop.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal