We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Uzbekistan 2018  (Read 7959 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Uzbekistan 2018
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:28:51 PM »

It was suggested that I bring notice of this trip to a wider audience: it was previously on the tulip pages.

Anyone interested in going to Uzbekistan next year for tulips as well as other alpine flora? 

I know the AGS trips, whilst good, can be a little too expensive for some budgets. Therefore, how about a trip at just $100 per day (all inclusive for land costs)?

Day 01 -    Arrival in Tashkent airport. Transfer to the hotel and accommodation. Overnight in Tashkent

Day 02 -    Tashkent – the Nurata mountains.   Early transfer (7:00 a.m.) to the Nurata mountains (280 km). Tulipa korolkovii, Tulipa affinis, Tulipa turkestanica and possibly Tulipa micheliana here too, as they finish blossoming at the end of March. Overnight, guest house  in Asraf village. And to whet your appetite http://www.zobodat.at/pdf/STAPFIA_0099_0198-0204.pdf

Day 03 -    The Nurata mountains - Samarkand.   Continuation of botanic tour in the foothills of the Nurata ridge. Transfer to Samarkand (160 km). Overnight in Samarkand.

Day 04 -    Samarkand.   A day of culture and sightseeing as this might be your only trip to this part of the world. Visit spectacular Registan Square, remains of Bibi-Khanum Mosque, Siyob Bazaar, Shakhi-Zinda Necropolis and Gur-Emir Mausoleum – authentic shrine of Tamerlane. Ulugbek Observatory, Afrosiab Museum. Overnight in Samarkand.

Day 05 -  Samarkand – Kitab.   Transfer over Takhtakaracha mountain pass to Kitab State Geological Reserve. Tulipa fosteriana, Tulipa turkestanica, Tulipa korolkovii, Tulipa ingens. Overnight in Shakhrisabz.

Day 06 -     Shakhrisabz – Katta-Lyangar.   Transfer to Katta-Lyangar village. (60 km)
Huge colonies of Tulipa lanata, Tulipa turkestanika, Tulipa micheliana, and Tulipa nitida.
Overnight in Katta-Lyangar.

Day 07 -   Katta-Lyangar – Boisun.   After breakfast transfer to Boisun (150 km).
This area is rich in tulip species as Tulipa korolkovii, Tulipa lanata, Tulipa tubergeniana.
Overnight in Boisun.

Day 08 -     Boisun – Termez - Tashkent   Transfer to Termez (140 km)..
Aftenoon flight to Tashkent. Overnight in Tashkent.

Day 09 -     Tashkent – Beldersay.   Transfer to Beldersay in the Chimgan mountains (150 km).
Tulipa kaufmanniana, Tulipa xtschimganica, Tulipa greigii, Tulipa bifloriformis, Tulipa dubia.
Overnight in Beldersay.

Day 10 -   Beldersay – Kyzylsu – Tashkent.   The Kyzylsu riverbed for Tulipa kaufmanniana, Tulipa xtschimganica, Tulipa greigii, Tulipa bifloriformis, Tulipa dubia. Overnight in Tashkent.

Day 11 -   Tashkent - departure   Transfer to the airport and flight home or you may wish to extend trip for private exploration

The whole tour will be accompanied by an English speaking guide and  a professional botanist.  Everything is included in the price (transfers, accommodation, all meals, entrance fees) except International Airfares; Domestic Flight Termez - Tashkent approx 115 $ p/p (obviously always subject to change); Tourist Visa; Camera and Video charges during sightseeing (when required); Alcohol Drinks.

Total land price $1143  if 6 travel
Total land price $1043 if 8 travel

If you are interested - no commitment - let me know by private email and I'll supply more details. I'm not on commission and will pay the same as everyone else ! I'm just trying to establish whether it will be a tour of six or eight.   I've already received some interest. Tour date 13 April.

Frazer
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:45:18 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Colin

Re: Uzbekistan 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 04:00:11 PM »
What a great trip schedule and at a very reasonable charge.
I only wish I had more mobility (and was younger)!
If possible, please post a post-trip report.
CSH  North Wales

Per ardua ad astra

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »
What a great trip schedule and at a very reasonable charge.
I only wish I had more mobility (and was younger)!
If possible, please post a post-trip report.

Thoughts common to quite a few of us , I think, Colin.   A most exciting trip and one which I hope some members will take advantage of to see that part of the world.   report on the trip here and/or for the IRG or Rock Garden would be most welcome, too!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 06:01:09 PM »
From Frazer ........ Date for tour confirmed as  13 April in Uzbekistan and head for Nurata hills on 14 April.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 07:21:57 PM »
Quick update just to let everyone know that details are now being finalised for the tour and that I am pleased that we have confirmed interest from members of the RHS Bulb committee, the W&NE Tulip Society, the Scottish Rock Garden Club and the Alpine Garden Society comprising both professional horticulturalists and enthusiastic amateurs drawn from UK, Ireland, Europe and USA. In addition to our driver and our courier (English/Uzbek/Russian speaking) it is highly likely that our botanical guide for the tour will be Professor Komilijon Tojibaev of the Institute of Botany and Zoology who is a noted authority on tulips:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uzbekistan-Uzbekiston-Lolalari-Tulpani-Uzbekistana-x/dp/9943005998
https://www.zobodat.at/pdf/STAPFIA_0099_0198-0204.pdf

If anyone is interested that has not yet contacted me can you do so soonest as I will need confirmation by 14 August of numbers and to ensure that the price of the trip is known by all when booking their flights etc. As advised the tour start at 0700hrs on 14 April. Thanks

Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 11:46:59 AM »

Two/three places still available on this confirmed trip.

Arrive Tashkent 13 April: Tour starts 0700am 14 April.

Some of us are stopping over in Istanbul on the way out to enjoy the International Tulip Festival and explore Istanbul Botanic Garden.

If you are interested or simply just wish to know more then ping me an email and I'll send you updated information.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 01:01:03 PM »
Just to say the tour went ahead. We had good time  - there were six of us (SRGC and Wakefield & North of England Tulip Society members plus RHS Bulb committee chair)

The season was early and we experienced some bad weather in the middle of the trip but there will be a report in a forthcoming issue of The Rock Garden (hopefully summer 2020).

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 01:24:16 PM »
Yay! Good  to hear!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal