We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lost friend - "KentGardener" is no more  (Read 12998 times)

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
Re: Lost friend - "KentGardener" is no more
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2017, 02:32:45 AM »
I have forgotten how to insert a quote and its late at night, maybe my brain has gone to sleep.  I am so happy to hear John's aunt is going to look after his snowdrop collection - I just hope they can find good homes for all the other plants John loved too.....and the fish ;)

Last time I went to visit John in March 2015 he asked me to take a photo of him to post on the forum.  He wanted me to say Hello to everyone - so sorry I never done it for him.  I never named the file so had trouble finding the photos but found them tonight.  John is posing with a pot of special snowdrops....not sure if it was a find or a gift from someone.  Do you recognise it Alan B ?  Anyhow, here are the photos.

Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2017, 07:38:40 AM »
If you look at the picture of the special snowdrop John is holding you will see that the spathe is elongated and split but not into two parts but three or four.  Or those may be extra leaves on the scape rather than part of the spathe.  AFAIK this is a unique feature of this snowdrop in which case I think it is one that John found when snowdrop hunting with me and it would be designated "ABJF_2013_3".  Or at least I think that's the one; my records are not as comprehensive as I could wish  If have pieced together several disparate records and I'm sure that's right, ABJF_2013_3 is a 'bracteate' nivalis even though we did not record that feature in the year that it was found.  It's one of my top candidates for a snowdrop that could be named "John Finch".  I mentioned this to John in an email in 2016 and suggested that it could be named for him but he never responded to my suggestion; modest guy that he was.  If it really is the same snowdrop then he never said that he had been showing it off the previous year; perhaps he did not remember.  And I had forgotten about our exchange of emails on the subject last year so than you so much for reminding me, Jennie.

Is there any way we could trace this pot, do you think?       
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:57:44 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »
I'm going to miss him , it was a friendship you could just pick up when you next met them .
I never met John, but I was standing a few feet away when Alan Street took this photograph. I thought that he looked very fit, possibly a firefighter or something military. Should have introduced myself to the group but didn't and now it is history.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2017, 08:29:08 PM »
I am hoping to hear from John's Aunt Doreen , so that we can pass on our condolences to his family, especially his parents.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mariette

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2017, 08:42:20 PM »
  It's one of my top candidates for a snowdrop that could be named "John Finch".  I mentioned this to John in an email in 2016 and suggested that it could be named for him but he never responded to my suggestion; modest guy that he was.     

Unfortunately I met John only once, when he visited Oirlich. All the more I enjoyed his contributions to the Galanthus thread, which were always as informative as polite. Especially I remember a very touching pic of this heavy athlete cowering in front of a tiny snowdrop, obviously admiring the small plant.

Alan, I think the snowdrop You suggest is an excellent choice to do this fine fellow justice.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2017, 07:21:09 AM »
I am hoping to hear from John's Aunt Doreen , so that we can pass on our condolences to his family, especially his parents.

That would be very good, Maggi.  Short of writing to the address that John lived at, I have no idea how to get in touch with his family.  It would be good if they could be made aware of the sentiments expressed here.

If anyone reading this did not know John, they may still have seen and remember him as he always wore some sort of military-style camouflage wear.  With this attire and his toned physique he did indeed look like "a firefighter or something military" - whereas in fact he was a computer programmer.     
Almost in Scotland.

Doreen

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »
I am John's Aunty Doreen. I can assure everyone that their messages are being read and appreciated by John's parents Elsie and John Finch at this difficult time. if you wish, you can contact us via Maggi.
Doreen S.,
South East London

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2017, 08:20:55 PM »
Thank you, Doreen. You must all be in shock at John's passing.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2017, 08:32:32 PM »
Hello Dorren , please let John's family know he's was loved by all in the snowdrop world . I hope to be at the service to say my goodbyes  :'(
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Chad

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 11:14:19 PM »
In tears.

Before John was 'in to' snowdrops he was a regular contributor to 'tropical' plant fora.

I have let the two current boards know and linked back to here.

Threads on GOTE and Hardy Tropicals will cover memories from his times in tropical plants.

After his partner Ian died in 2008 we saw less of him in 'tropical' circles, but I met him most years at the RHS snowdrop shows.

He was younger than me. If I'd been more diligent and noticed this thread before today I would have organised to get to the funeral tomorrow. Such a generous spirit deserves a proper send off.

Chad.
Inland Cornwall

Margaret MacLennan

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
We were very sorry at the loss of John.  He was one of our earliest galanthophile contacts.  We particularly remember a visit he made with many other snowdrop friends in early March 2013 to our National Collection at our old home and which he gave a full account of in his blog.  Here is our own photo of the occasion. We shall miss him.
Margaret and David MacLennan

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2017, 09:51:20 PM »
He had a good send off , chapel was packed . He was so loved . His parents and family are all beautiful people you can see where John got his love from and his gardening skills . So sad to meet them under such circumstances. The representatives from snowdrop/fern world did us all proud. We will forever miss you Kent gardener , gone much too soon  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2017, 10:16:10 PM »
I am so grateful that some of us were able to be there, Emma.  Thank you.

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2017, 02:27:33 AM »
Today we said our final goodbyes to our friend John Finch aka Kentgardener. Many snowdrop, fern and Jungle plant friends turned up from far and wide.

We found out a little more about John during the service which made us smile. Apparently he's a great little dancer after a few pints, he worked out in the gym in London with Jimmy Somerville of Bronski Beat and Communards fame and they were good friends. He was also very good at glass art and made the lovely 3 dimensional wall art in his garden that I always admired. Via his work he attended the Queens Garden Party in 2014 and took his dad.

After the service we all went back to his parents house and garden where they laid on a great spread. His parents are lovely kind people - just like John. We could also see where John got his love of gardening - their garden is beautiful and it now contains many of The nick knacks from Johns garden placed beautifully here and there. I took a few pics of them below.

I also found out the fish were all transported in large bags of water and are now safely rehomed  :)

It was a very emotional and sad day and everyone still seemed in shock from his sudden death. It was surreal to be gathered with his friends and family without him there.  He will be very sadly missed but fondly remembered by so many people whose lives he touched. I will never forget him  :'(

(edit by maggi to rotate a picture)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:44:25 AM by Maggi Young »
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal