We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fallen Tree - who's responsible?  (Read 8378 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Fallen Tree - who's responsible?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 07:36:16 PM »
 :o
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 07:44:47 PM »
You lot get worse, you should all bow down in shame ...cone yew not do better than this?
Crumbs.... it's catching!

Tom, sorry I missed you... and the FAB guitar today! Ian was deeply smitten: you lucky man, he said!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 07:51:31 PM »
Three branches came off Margaret Glynn's cedar with one still hanging by it's bark at the top. The council TPOd all the trees in her garden and she now has to write for permission to remove the branch. There is an unsafe lime in the garden right beside a main road. They have refused permission for it to be removed
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 07:53:12 PM »
You lot get worse, you should all bow down in shame ...cone yew not do better than this?

Tom, sorry I missed you... and the FAB guitar today! Ian was deeply smitten: you lucky man, he said!

OK I know it's supposed to be about trees but I can't let this go, tell us more about the guitar please Tom!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 08:18:42 PM »
It's ok Maggi ,don't pine, we did not intend to needle yew, :)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 08:29:29 PM »
 ;D  Such a fun group we have here, made me laugh out loud
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 08:34:47 PM »
Chris, just as well we made you laugh... fallen trees are no joke but I'm glad your neighbour is acting sensibly.... the onus would be on him to remove, repair etc at his expense, anyhow!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 08:56:33 PM »
Chris,I think you should take a bough now that you have this matter settled

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 10:04:12 PM »
Maybe an ad in the local paper: 'tree fellers required. Come along, and bring two friends'. ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

afw

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 10:09:30 PM »
Maybe an ad in the local paper: 'tree fellers required. Come along, and bring two friends'. ::)

Our local tree surgeons are: 'Two fellas tree surgeons'
Alan Whybrow, late of mighty Sawbo, now in Belper, Derbyshire

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 09:37:54 AM »
I think that you all would do well as Classic Japanese poets.
They pun all the time.
"Oh the pines and you" (=I pine for you).
Funnily enough, 'Matsu' menas 'pine' and 'wait' So there is a lot of moonlight in the pines in old Japanese love poetry.
I hope you will not have to pine/wait too much for the removal of the pine.
Göte
PS
Failing a good quotation, I made one up or rather: I quote myself. This is by the way, a good way always to come up with a quotation.
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 10:27:25 AM »

OK I know it's supposed to be about trees but I can't let this go, tell us more about the guitar please Tom!

I suppose the only link here is wood !!
I have been going to make a guitar for the last 48 years and collecting choice wood to do so.  Much to my chagrin, I have an allergy to wood dust so I thought that it would be better to get one made to my specs.  I visited a luthier called Jimmy Moon, in Glasgow and discussed the project.  After looking at some of the instruments he had made, I commissioned him to make one for me.  I had a set of pernambucco hardwood about 40 years old which fitted the bill.  This is now impossible to get in a large enough size to make guitars so this is a rather special piece of wood.  Its current use is for the best quality violin bows and is priced accordingly. Last May, Jimmy and I agreed on the final details and the guitar was finished and collected in November - a few days before Ian came to the Ayr branch to give his talk.  He was disappointed that I had not brought it to show it to him, but, at that stage, I was not going to bring it out of the house.  I made up for this by bringing it to the Dunblane show and we sat upstairs for about 15 minutes while he tried it out.  I think he could have walked off with it quite happily.
I can get rather enthusiastic discussing guitars, but for the people who know, it is a OO sized steel strung guitar, ( SMALLISH ), 12 frets to the body, slotted headpiece, 1 7/8 wide finger board of Gabon Ebony, 25.9 scale length, Gabon Ebony pyramid bridge, bone nut and saddle with tortoiseshell bindings and purflings. The neck is of Honduras Mahogany.  The tone I would describe as bell-like and is a joy to play.
The attached pictures I took a few minutes ago.  It is almost impossible to photograph without a studio set-up using a polarising filter to get rid of reflections and as life is too short, these will have to do.

Maggi,  I did not see you at the show.  You must have been back-stage, or sampling the pies !!

Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 01:23:49 PM »
Tom, thanks very much indeed for that.

Although I have no musical ability whatsoever (only one entry from a VERY long list!) I am very much a listener and can appreciate a good instrument and a good exponent of it. Richard Thompson is one of my favourites, and before he cleaned up his lifestyle when he could really play, so was Clapton.

Your guitar is absolutely beautiful, you must be very proud of it, and maybe one day I will get to hear you play.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 01:39:42 PM »
Tom,

My 15 year old is sitting beside me and for the first time ever has seen something on the SRGC that has taken his interest. Guitar playing is his all consuming hobby and many hours of each day are spent practicing. With a few friends who play together each weekend he had his first 'gig' a few weeks ago. He passes on his admiration for your new guitar.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 02:04:18 PM »
Paddy,
Tell him to stick at it.  It's easier to learn when you are young and enthusiastic.  I started at age 15 during the skiffle era and then into folk songs and blues.  Marriage, family and then unrelenting work meant that the guitar was kept in its case with only a brief appearance once or twice a year.  Retirement felt like getting out of prison and I rediscovered my love of guitars - hence the new guitar which should still be about long after me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:50:04 PM by TC »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal