We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: mystery - 4 petals  (Read 1043 times)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
mystery - 4 petals
« on: May 07, 2017, 10:20:32 PM »
There are half a dozen blooming in my raised vegetable bed.  I don't recall sowing anything resembling them last year,
but they are in a straight line which suggests they did not come in with the soil I bought.  About a metre high.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: mystery - 4 petals
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 11:06:50 PM »
This maybe http://www.downgardenservices.org.uk/Mustard_garlic.htm  ?  I wouldn't let it set seed unless you want it forever. 
Almost in Scotland.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 11:37:33 PM »
Yes, garlic mustard, a.k.a. Jack-by-the-hedge, a brassica, good in salads or in a sauce, seeds everywhere, very common here in Kent.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 11:57:13 PM »
Thank you.

I squished the leaves  to a mush before I noticed a scent.  Then I tried chewing a leaf which was tasteless and tough.  They will go in the garbage, not the compost, and I should be rid of them.

I wonder where it came from - it is not one of our usual weeds, so it might have been an adulterant in some seeds I bought from Europe.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »
My wife and I manage different areas of the garden (some shared).  She likes this plant but she has not yet noticed how many seedlings are coming up.  I weed it out wherever I find it in my areas.   
Almost in Scotland.

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 01:55:34 AM »
Mustard Garlic is invading New England, northeastern USA, it's considered highly invasive throughout much of the USA. The garden club in our community has garlic mustard group weeding days, I'm afraid it's a losing battle.

https://emswcd.org/removing-garlic-mustard/
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 02:35:56 AM »
Mustard Garlic is invading New England, northeastern USA, it's considered highly invasive throughout much of the USA. The garden club in our community has garlic mustard group weeding days, I'm afraid it's a losing battle.

https://emswcd.org/removing-garlic-mustard/

I agree and it is very unfortunate.
In Ontario it's been declared an invasive weed; it's taking over many wild areas, perfectly adapted to woodland conditions >:( It is already known from BC so Diane, you didn't bring it with other seeds, was already there. It is best if removed in the first year when it only forms the leaves rosette. I would also warn the neighbours, otherwise if only you remove it really doesn't make a difference.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal