We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildside-7 April 2017  (Read 4216 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Wildside-7 April 2017
« on: April 07, 2017, 08:10:26 PM »
Beautiful day here today for a visit to Wildside on the garden's first opening of the year. So warm I could have managed in just a tee shirt (trousers too of course!) but struggled on in a jumper. Far too bright for my limited photographic skills too so have ditched many of the snaps. Bumped into Jon Evans and his wife, I should have asked for a lesson.

First five pics all of Erythroniums in great swathes across the garden. In chatting with Keith Wiley afterwards he remarked "Wait until you see them in about three years time"
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Wildside-7 April 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:12:54 PM »
Two more Erythronium pics
Beautiful red Acers
One of a number of cracking Rhododendrons
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:15:50 PM »
I'm developing a soft spot for Trilliums but know next to nothing about them. If anyone could put names these that would be nice
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 08:18:24 PM »
For those with their naming caps on they could help me with these please.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 08:19:12 PM »
Last of the 'What's this' please
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ian mcdonald

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 09:12:20 PM »
Not bad photos. David, better than many of my efforts.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 11:41:24 PM »
Argh - very, very envious. I was talking with Keith and Ros at Rosemoor and they have made a determined stand to invest their time and energy into Wildside rather than travelling long distances to Shows to sell plants. We face the same dilemma, even though with hardly the drama and fame of their garden. Keeping on top of a garden AND propagating and selling plants is a huge endeavour. We must try and visit them sometime in the future and hope they will still venture out to Rosemoor when the AGS Show is held there again; it's an opportunity at least to savour some of those wonderful gardens in the West Country. One of the patches of erythroniums must be E. revolutum 'Janice', which is a selection from Wildside awarded the AGM recently. The first Trillium (white with pink eye) looks like T. albidum.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 12:58:11 AM »
Thanks for showing Wildside again David; beautiful in any season!

I think 1a, 1b show Uvularia sessilifolia and 3a, 3b Clintonia borealis - somehow on steroids, never seen one so big.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 12:59:36 PM »
Keith Wiley matches Ian Young in his enthusiasm for Erythroniums! They've bonded over that.  Keith has written to Ian in glowing terms about Ian's  'Erythronium in Cultivation' e-book, which was nice.   
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

brianw

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 09:04:54 PM »
I am more puzzled by the woodland. That was a heavily modified field when I was there last a few years ago. Those trees look reasonably mature.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 02:57:50 AM »
David  - 2a and 2b would be Rhododendron williamsianum, likely one of the selected forms but I can only id the white-flowered form. When in flower!

Such a gem.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 07:00:19 PM »
Thanks for Rhododendron williamsianum ID John. I just didn't recognise it as a Rhododendron, not seen one with that sort of leaf shape and colour before. It's lovely.

Thanks too Gabriela for Uvularia sessilifolia, that I hadn't seen before and also the Clintonia borealis.

Thanks for the Trillium albidum Tim. It was a great time of year to see the lower garden and it will be even better in a few weeks when the Primulas and Dactylorhiza come into flower. Later in the year the upper garden really comes into its own.

Perhaps it's been longer than you think Brian?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

brianw

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 08:53:33 PM »
Using Google maps the aerial view is marked as 2017, so I assume current. The area at the bottom of the rectangle was I recall orchard trees with meadow type wild flowers between, restricting where you could walk. There were many other young trees around the site edges and a few on the various banking/berms but not woodland I can remember, The top of the site, (nearest the road) above the car parking and formally laid out section (originally the sale area) was just starting planting out when I was last there.
I must try and get back there this year. Most of my previous visits have been at Rhodohypoxis, Dactylorhiza flowering times.

Note if you have not visited, Google has the identifying marker label in the wrong place the other side of the commercial nursery further down the lane.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 12:52:36 PM »
In case anyone is considering a visit to Wildside the next opening days are June 24-30 (10-4) and July 24-31 (10-4)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 06:56:21 PM »
My mate Mike tells me I forgot to include the dates for Wildside's May openings. He's right, I did forget, so here they are:-

May 25-31 (10-4)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal