We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: bishop's weed  (Read 3039 times)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
bishop's weed
« on: March 17, 2008, 01:22:45 PM »
A friend asked me how to get rid of bishop's weed - Aegopodium podagraria.
I have heared that most gardeners said: impossible!
Is it worth trying out to plant Japanese pachysandra - Pachysandra terminalis, hoping that the second  ' weed '  will repress the first one?
Are there any other methods besides using herbizides?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: bishop's weed
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 02:14:03 PM »
Hand-digging works on small patches of Bishop's Weed but only if you get out every scrap of root, otherwise it'll just grow back from even tiny bits of root. For herbicide treatment you have to use a systemic herbicide like glyphosate to kill the roots. This works, but take care not to spray or water onto garden plants. An alternative is to cut the leaves down when they've formed in Spring (and have used up a lot of the energy reserves in the roots, but not later or they'll have re-supplied the roots with energy reserves) then put down a black plastic sheet to prevent the re-growth leaves from photosynthesising. This will probably take a coupe of seasons to kill the weeds. Or for all-out war, treat with glyphosate weed killer, wait for leaf-death then cover with black plastic.

You can, by the way, eat the leaves in Spring (I think later in the year they have a laxative effect!). See this link -  http://nami-nami.blogspot.com/2007/06/its-wild-thing-hortapita-or-greek-pie.html
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 02:24:26 PM »
I would be  very wary of the attempt to drown out one weed with another.... two wrongs do not make a right in my book!  I thing you friend would just  disappear under the two weeds and may never be seen again.  we do have a  slight problem with bishop weed coming through the hedge from a neighbour's garden.... we keep it in check by pulling off the foliage whenever we can and uprooting as much as possible by hand. We cannot do large  scale digging because of the dense planting in our garden but we are able to stop the weed from making the kind of progress it wants to make through our property. we are fortunate that we do not have a large area affected by the problem.... that would be a larger task. :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:24:25 AM »
Maggi, Martin,
Thank you very much - The problem of my friend is similar to Maggis. The Bishop's weed
is coming through a Thuja hedge from a neighbour's garden. So adequate supply is guaranteed.
He will have a long fight either with or without a herbizide.

Maggi, too bad that you denied a battle Aegopodium versus Pachysandra - wouldn't be interesting?  ;D

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal