We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Leontopodium nanum or pusillum?  (Read 1525 times)

Corrado & Rina

Leontopodium nanum or pusillum?
« on: March 18, 2017, 12:02:07 AM »
Dear all,

Here is the picture of a Leontopodium which has just flowered, unfortunately the label was lost during the last house move 

It can be either nanum or pusillum (the two labels that were lost), most likely pusillum. Anyone who could identify with more precision?

Best Regards

Corrado
Corrado & Rina

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Leontopodium nanum or pusillum?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:03:10 PM »
A wonderfully compact form. Please show us when the flowers are fully out. :) :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 11:04:17 PM »
A wonderfully compact form. Please show us when the flowers are fully out. :) :)

Flower completely out now

571197-0

571199-1

Any help about it being nanum or pusillum?

Corrado & Rina

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 11:09:23 PM »

571201-0
Corrado & Rina

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 05:42:13 AM »
Ahhh. Thank you Corrado and Rina. Very nice it is too with the almost stemless flowers. I was worried they may have elongated as they matured. Having said that, please forgive me for a little complaint - or perhaps a disappointment. I thought the flowers would have been whiter like a snowy, newborn lamb. The lamb looks a little bit grubby. :(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 06:13:19 AM »
Hello Corrado & Rina,

It is very difficult to distinguish small Leontopodium species. There are probably also some species in Asia which are not yet discovered or described. There are also local differences of the same kind.
My tendency is with your plant to L. pusillium. When my wakes from the winter sleep I will try to compare.

In any case you should reap the seeds and try to multiply ... It is a very beautiful specimen.

Best regards Thomas

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 02:51:38 PM »
Ahhh. Thank you Corrado and Rina. Very nice it is too with the almost stemless flowers. I was worried they may have elongated as they matured. Having said that, please forgive me for a little complaint - or perhaps a disappointment. I thought the flowers would have been whiter like a snowy, newborn lamb. The lamb looks a little bit grubby. :(

Ops .... possibly my fault, I forgot to take a picture whilst they were at their whitest (and hey were very white)! 

Best,

Corrado
Corrado & Rina

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal