We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Kendal Joint Show  (Read 5023 times)

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
Re: Kendal Joint Show
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 10:22:50 AM »
Just people

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 10:37:26 AM »
nurseries

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
Thanks for the pix Stan !  Your report is the next best thing to being there !  :D
Seems to have been a very succesful show - the packed benches are promising !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »
and more

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 10:44:15 AM »
local members  looking after their  plant stall and entrance door

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2017, 10:53:25 AM »
Signing off with  a few photos as  people  loaded  their cars for the journey home. However this should not be the end of this report. After  my quick impressions of the event I  look forward to others providing a more detailed view of the show and the  plants.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 04:17:48 PM »
Stan - as ever you stun us with the range of your photos. As well as a record of the show - and this seems to have been a real beauty - it is  so special for those of us unable to attend.

Alan Oatway and his team must be well pleased with such a lovely display.  Well done to them and to all the exhibitors , whether winners or not!

On a personal note,  how  nice it is to see Darren  with his  beard - very distinguished, Darren!  And I hope you will consider giving us a chance to publish more of your  artwork  in future - you could start with some pix right here!!

Stan : I've rotated  the few photos of yours which had steadfastly turned themselves sideways.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 05:55:23 PM »
Don Peace' fine photo of Cyril Lafong with his Forrest Medal winning Trillium rivale 'Purple Heart' at the super #Kendal Show yesterday

https://twitter.com/DonPeace/status/843350929831350272

Darren

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2017, 06:34:47 PM »

On a personal note,  how  nice it is to see Darren  with his  beard - very distinguished, Darren!  And I hope you will consider giving us a chance to publish more of your  artwork  in future - you could start with some pix right here!!

Stan : I've rotated  the few photos of yours which had steadfastly turned themselves sideways.

Thank you Maggi  :-*

The beard was a 50th birthday present to myself last year. Never had one before so went for it. Really like it and should have done it years ago. Also hoping the extra grey might persuade Susan I am old enough to retire and devote my energies to gardening and drawing. So far it hasn't worked...

Last few weeks I have been struggling with motivation to draw, not helped by the gardening season arriving, but did a little today as it was raining constantly for the fourth day in a row! Susan is currently working Sundays so this is intended to be my drawing day. When I eventually finish something new I promise to share it.

It was really lovely to see so many fellow forumists at the show yesterday. Though the beard means I no longer look like my forum photo so had to introduce myself to Lawrence who I hadn't met before.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
Sandy Leven has sent the Forrest Medal Report from Kendal - see it  HERE
Thanks, Sandy!

Cyril and the Trillium - photo by Sandy Leven
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:04:46 PM by Maggi Young »

veteran vet

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 11:04:54 AM »
My first show of the season and what a good show it was, I think some alpine exhibitors must go to weight training given the size, and therefore weight, of some of the exhibits, what was good though that the very large pans contained immaculate specimens which is a considerable achievement.
I am posting a few pictures of plant close ups with exhibitor name and class number, don't think I have any of folk, very well covered by Stan
Ranunculus crithmifolius Don Peace (85) a lovely specimen very scarce nowadays but I am pleased to report that I had three germinations last year from a plant I used to have, I sowed the seed in 2010 and it germinated in 2016, really glad I did not bin the pot.
Rhododendron cephalanthum ssp crebriflorum Alan Furness (82), as good a flowered specimen as I have seen
Fritillaria bithynica Ian and Marie Leslie (79)
Fritillaria aurea Ivor Betteridge (79)
Saxifraga dinnikii Geoff Mawson (73)

veteran vet

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »
When at a show, camera in hand I just photograph whatever catches my eye, wandering around trying to avoid getting in the paying public's way so what I post is very random
Hepatica nobilis var japonica Chris Lilley (70
Pulsatilla vulgaris Peter Hood (68)....this is one of my favourite plants, always admire a specimen when well grown
We are at the peak of the Dionysia season in the North and
Dionysia bryoides Derek Pickard (64) won the Duncan Lowe award for the best plant in <19cm pot. He also had
Dionysia freitagii in (63)
Androsace were thin on the ground but
Androsace lehmanniana from Geoff Rollinson caught the eye in (61)

veteran vet

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 11:22:42 AM »
There was some interesting foliage plants in the foliage classes but thge one that won the Kirby Cup for the best foliage was
Celmisia philocremna Ian and Marie Leslie (39)
Trillium nivale from Alan Spenceley (30) was a massive potful, might just could do with a bigger pot though. Was up against
Tecophilaea cyanocrocus Cyril Lafong and this got the red sticker
Primula irregularis Lionel Clarkson (56)
Saxifraga oppositifolia Mala Janes (29)

veteran vet

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 11:29:47 AM »
Dionysia gaube Geof Rollinson (28)  a good example of a difficult plant
Iris nusairiensis Frank And Barbara Hoyle (26). There must be a few 'forms' around as this is a massive plant compared to the version I grow
Fritillaria ariana Ivor Betteridge (21 and 37)...I post two pictures as one was a better colour
Corydalis macrocentra Don Peace (17)

veteran vet

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 11:41:38 AM »
Saxifraga 'Coolock Gem' this one by Frank And Barbara Hoyle (20) though there were many fine specimens at the show
Saxifraga 'Lismore Carmine' Peter Hood (19), not a lot of this around nowadays
Saxifraga 'Allendale Harvest' Tommy Anderson (19)
Primula x megasaefolia Tom Green (9)
Cyclamen pseudibericum Ian Kidman (4)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal