We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Will a virus persist through winter?  (Read 998 times)

Sheep

Will a virus persist through winter?
« on: March 08, 2017, 09:58:29 PM »
Hi,
Could somebody possibly please advise me on the following query?
From last year's seed exchange I grew some Saussureas with multiple dandelion-like flowers on woody stems. I thought they were very attractive plants. However towards the end of the year they became very distorted and I suspect, from things that I have read, that this was due to a virus transmitted by aphids.
The Saussureas died back for winter but are now re-emerging. Are they likely to still carry the virus?
Many thanks in advance.
Nick
Nick

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Will a virus persist through winter?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 01:30:08 AM »
I am sorry to tell you but once the virus is inside the plant's cells that's where it will stay (and replicate furthermore).
You may try to start it again from seeds (if will produce any this year), but there are many cases when even the seeds of virus infected plants will contain the virus.

On the positive side, plant growth can be distorted from other reasons than virus infection, so wait to see the new growth.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Sheep

Re: Will a virus persist through winter?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 08:41:17 PM »
Thank you for your helpful reply.
Nick

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal