We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Kew Alpine House  (Read 1646 times)

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Kew Alpine House
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:38:22 PM »
All the talk about the visit to Wisley has prompted a question:

The last time I visited Kew, the new, eye-catching alpine house was nearly completed--but not planted. I'd like to know what people think about it who have visited since its opening. Nice? Is it working as anticipated (the systems, that is)? Plants doing well?

Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Kew Alpine House
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:51:07 AM »
Very disappointing  It is too small - like a large Wisley Alpine House, whilst pretending to be a small Wisley Greenhouse.

I really like the Wisley Alpine House with the changing selection of alpines, but I expected more at Kew considering the money spent.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 10:04:28 AM »
I agree with Arthur, very disappointing taking into account how much it cost. Seems to me to be a perfect example of the art of the designer taking over the art of the user.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 03:09:06 PM »
Completely agree with David. I saw it last summer to find the design absolutely fantastic at the expense of the exposition
in Moscow

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 05:59:47 PM »
I was there recently and was able to talk briefly with Richard Wilford.  He is pleased with the underground cooling system and feels the plants are in some cases better off.  The wider paths are more suitable for the general visitors.  I did post a few pics in the flowering now thread for March.

Personally I would have rather see the money fund an extra pair of hands (or two) for the alpine department but we were reminded that the gardens are for the public not just for the plants :-\ ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal