We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arum 2008  (Read 9057 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Arum
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 11:54:54 PM »
Gosh Tony. Some lovely arums. Seeing as you've shown us yours I'll have to show you mine, but they are a day or two off unfurling. Am halfway through cleaning out my west-facing bed. Two wheely bins of phlox and astilbes have already gone to that big compost bin in the sky. ;)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 06:57:41 AM »
Tony,

Thanks for the confirmation of rupicola.  Haven't seen it before.  Have seen pics of euxinum before, but not as nice as that.  Neither species have I seen here for sale, although I was given a piece that is supposed to be euxinum but has not flowered for me (or the source) as yet.

Great pics.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »
Some more in flower now.The one from Cyprus is very strange and although I have been told it is a dioscoridis I wonder if it is a hybrid with rupicola.Some plants have more spotting like dioscoridis but it is very flag like in its growth.
 arum13 dioscoridis cyprus
 arum20 elongatum turkey iznit
 arum 154 alpinum greece florina
 arum sp turkey macka trabzon
 arum dioscoridis turkey k'maras

The last one is a dioscoridis in the wild,a little difficult to see but quite spectacular.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 10:10:44 PM by Maggi Young »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 10:05:22 PM »
Tony,

Great to see so many species that I don't grow.  I just love the elongatum, and that Cyprus dioscoridis is very unusual.  I certainly never would have picked it as that species, not in a month of Sundays.  :o

More plants on my want list now..... must do some research and find out how many more Arum species there are that I am unfamiliar with and need to have in my collection.  ;D ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2008, 10:40:05 PM »
Paul you seem to like them, I have a few more to flower yet and hopefully will be able to post pictures

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2008, 10:45:08 PM »
I find it very hard to accept that the top pic would be A. dioscoridis Tony.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2008, 12:06:26 AM »
Lesley I agree that it is difficult to accept as dioscoridis but that is what an expert told me. Here is another from Cyprus no 15 and you can sss that it has similarities with my no 51 which is a dioscoridis from Turkey. The numbers are my database records, I have about 120 arum collections

I think it is a hybrid but I am no expert

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal