We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A new Pleione was discovered in the disputed region between India and China!  (Read 2478 times)

vigor

The new member, named Pleione arunachalensis, was found in Arunachal Pradesh, North-East India, where Chinese goverment also declare the sovereignty but  without actual control.
The new species grows in the moist rocky areas in association with moss at an elevation varies from 2000 to 2100 m. The area characterised by heavy snowfall in January and February, snowfall starts in November and continues occasionally till April. The flower open from late April to June.

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
I saw this in May 2014 at what became the type locality. Somehow I did not photograph it, but I managed to photograph everything else there. It grows on rock ledges where more sunlight was available with the pseudobulbs in bryophyte mats under Rhododendron, Illicium, Exbucklandia, Sarcococca, and other trees and shrubs. I was abundant then, but the widening of the road to the pass has probably destroyed much of its habitat the past two years.

Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

john hodgson

Fabulous to see this. I tried to look closely at the flower but the photo is low resolution. Do you have a higher-res image of the flower?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
 Paper is available  to subscribers here :  http://biotaxa.org/Phytotaxa/article/view/phytotaxa.291.4.7
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

vigor

this forum has a maximum file size limitation of 200kb.......
The article can not be freely download so a detail of the type photo was added.

john hodgson

Thanks Vigor

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal