We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Viburnum x juddii  (Read 1040 times)

cycnich

• Mister 1000
Viburnum x juddii
« on: February 27, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »
I have a 25 year old plant of Viburnum x juddii in my garden. I am looking to move in the not too distant future and although the plant is too big to take I would like to root some cuttings to take with me. Does anyone know when and how
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:51:30 PM by cycnich »
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Viburnum x juddii
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »
I think it is possible to take root cuttings from Viburnum - not that I know from experience!  Might be worth a try though - and if you're going to be grubbing around the plant for those it would be better to get going on that in the next few weeks I think.  Otherwise I think soft to semi-hardwood cuttings are good for Viburnum -  probably those would be ripe for you in June or July. 
Really well-draining compost vital, of course.   Good luck!

P.S. I'd rather saw off my fingers with a blunt  grapefruit knife than move house - goodness knows how I will ever  do it.  The Boss says he's determined to just sit it out - hope he's right!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

François Lambert

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 06:11:25 PM »
I my parent's garden we used to have a lot of Viburnum Carlesii, but they were grafted on rootstock of another Viburnum that is more vigorous.  So, check if this is the case or not so you don't make cuttings of the rootstock.  Often grafted viburnbum will have new shoots growing from the rootstock that have a completely different foliage.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 06:56:51 PM »
I've rooted cuttings of a couple of V. carlesii cultivars in the past - just taken in the usual way when the new growth starts to firm up a bit in early summer. Much better than buying a grafted plant which as François indicates will often sucker. V. x juddii is my absolute favourite of this group and like a fool I did not take cuttings of mine before I moved...
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal