We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus April 2024  (Read 627 times)

Stefan B.

Re: Galanthus April 2024
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2024, 06:21:41 PM »
Thank you Leena, it was a pleasure!!

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2024, 07:29:24 PM »
I made a 27 min video of about 50 snowdrop cultivars I grow (many common or older cultivars), and made subtitles in English ...

Thank you for this lovely video Leena.  Really beautiful snowdrops.
And so many honeybees! There must be hives (and maybe a beekeeper) nearby.

What is the little trillium beside your 'Glenorma', and the colchicum near the first 'Trinity' you showed?

I also enjoyed hearing some 'horticultural' Finnish (rare here in Ireland), as well as the wonderful birdsong & woodpecker drumming.

Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2024, 09:35:20 AM »
Thank you Stefan and Ashley. :)

And so many honeybees! There must be hives (and maybe a beekeeper) nearby.

What is the little trillium beside your 'Glenorma', and the colchicum near the first 'Trinity' you showed?

I also enjoyed hearing some 'horticultural' Finnish (rare here in Ireland), as well as the wonderful birdsong & woodpecker drumming.

We have wondered about honeybees, because we don't know any hives nearby, but I guess they can fly quite a ways when they find something they like, and now crocuses and snowdrops provide food more in my garden than they can find elsewhere. Even native willows and Tussilago farfara are not yet flowering, but Hepaticas are in a warm spot.

Trillium beside 'Glenorma' is Trillium nivale, and near the first 'Trinity' is Colchicum bulbocodium. Near 'Wendy's Gold' closer to the end of the video was Colchicum szovitsii, I don't remember if it showed.

We have lots of birds in the garden, and I love this time of year for their song.
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2024, 05:41:57 PM »
Trillium beside 'Glenorma' is Trillium nivale
Oh! I thought it was a Trillium pusillum.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2024, 05:20:43 PM »
Oh! I thought it was a Trillium pusillum.

I once sowed T.pusillum, but the seedlings died in a bad winter. I don't know if it should be hardy here.
Trillium-book says that it starts to flower when T.nivale ends.

Here is 'Glenorma' with T.nivale, and more on the left. :)

When 'Glenorma' is big, 'Wifi Big Bang' is huge, compare it to Eranthis and Crocus. It is also quite leafy plant, at least now in the end of flowering.

Leena

« Reply #20 on: Today at 10:03:23 AM »
Some snowdrops from last week. The good thing about this cold weather (right now 0C in the middle of the day) is that snowdrops flower longer.

'Wendy's Gold'

This is my 'Bill Clark'. I bought it ten years ago and I think it has flowered twice since. The next year after planting, and then it started going downhill. I moved it to a more moist bed, and then it flowered another time, but then no flowers until now. I distinctly remember that the yellow marking in the inners was right in the beginning. I don't know why it looks like this now this year. Has the original bulb been replaced by a seedling or what?? However, the marking is not as strong as in 'Wendy's Gold'.

'G.plicatus from Staryi Krym', I like this one. In the background G.gracilis planted last summer is just starting to flower.

'Greenpeace' is a good doer here.

As is 'S.Arnott'

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal