We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: saxifraga "peachy head"  (Read 3708 times)

anne gibson

saxifraga "peachy head"
« on: March 11, 2008, 08:55:28 PM »
has anyone experience of this plant. i purchased it at Loughborough show but in my excitement omitted to ask for cultural hint  :-[.on looking on the internet  it appears one parent is S.lilacina which likes acid compost but its other parent is aretiastrum -which is a hybrid of S.aretoides and S. burseriana which appear to come from limestone regions.
i am a real beginner and only have found any of this out by looking in books! but i still haven't managed to find out wether it prefers lime-free or lime conditions - or just normal!
lesson learned - always ask the person who grows the plants how to care for them.
any information would be appreciated.
 anne
p.s only joined this morning as kept ending up on your site every time i go on line :)
horticulturally challenged

Derbyshire, UK.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: saxifraga "peachy head"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 09:45:04 PM »
in my excitement omitted to ask for cultural hint

I'm sorry I can't offer any help Anne, I am sure someone will, I suffer from the same disease re cultural instruction ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 10:39:25 PM »

Hello, Anne, good to have you join in.
we grow all our saxifrages in our standard compost mis, which doesn't have any lime in it and lots do just fine.... not a very scientific answer.... but these lovely plants are not a speciality of this house!  :-[
Have you tried a search around the Saxifraga Society site?
http://www.saxifraga.org/default.asp

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 10:42:01 PM »
I can't help either Anne - what a useless bunch we are  ;D - but with that parentage I'd be inclined to hedge my bets and stay relatively neutral. Certainly you - or it -will need perfect drainage and a good gritty compost. Have a look at the threads which talk about crevice gardens for some good ideas.

A very warm welcome to the Forum.The best place to be on a chilly morning, and I suspect that some of us spend more time here than in the actual garden :-\
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:44:06 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 04:05:11 AM »
Lesley,

If we're not counting watering,, I most definitely spend more time here than in the garden.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

anne gibson

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 09:22:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome to the forum. after a day at work it is great to come back to!
horticulturally challenged

Derbyshire, UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal