We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: What happened?  (Read 1739 times)

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
What happened?
« on: March 10, 2008, 06:30:14 PM »
Hi everybody, mostly the Croconuts,

I have some Crocus sieberi 'Violet Queen' in two clay pots, which are in a sand plunge. The crocuses began to flower about a week ago. After the first flowers withered, there came another buds. But they did not open, became strangely dry. And the tips of the leaves yellow. I thought it is a wet rot, and today I turned one pot to see what it was. The compost was rather dry. I think that they dried out. The corms are hard, and no smell of rot at all. I try to show you some pics of the plants.
Are these roots healthy? And if I begin to water the other pot, could the plants recover now, or they took offence at me and went dormant? ::)
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: What happened?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 06:44:32 PM »
Hi Kata, The roots do look quite dry, don't they, no white, fresh roots. It's way too early for them to go dormant so in your place I'd be repotting them and keeping them damp - but being careful not to let them have too much water or they will rot - and maybe there will be some new root growth. Maybe they would be happier outside in the garden in a well-drained spot.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 06:50:46 PM »
Maybe they would be happier outside in the garden in a well-drained spot.

I think so Lesley, I see that it isn't so easy to grow bulbs in pots, that's why I thought to try first with some cheap ones. ::)
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 08:35:48 PM »
This can happen to any of us who grow crocus in pots.  I have had the same problem and I think Lesley has the right answer.  These plants need lots of water in flower and when the leaves are growing fast.  If the roots get too dry they will go into early dormancy.  A very unsuitable compost or waterlogging can also inhibit root growth but these have made a good root system so too dry does look to be the poblem.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal