We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2017  (Read 27072 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Primula 2017
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2017, 09:42:57 AM »
No, the green one is Primula 'Francisca', not Francesca.  Found by the late Francisca Darts on a compost heap at a garden centre in suburban Vancouver, BC.  She was a fabulous & generous plantswoman.

Still don't like it ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2017, 09:44:06 AM »
Still don't like it ;D

I've always wondered what Miss Piggy says about taste...  ;D  ;D  :P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:43:57 PM by WimB »
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
 :D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Roma

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »
Primula auricula - I think this was from wild collected seed but this is the only one left after a few years and the label has long gone too
Next is a mystery - Bought from Kevock as 'Blairside Yellow' many years ago and the first time it has flowered for a long time
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2017, 10:41:12 PM »
I get lots of self sown seedlings.  Most are unremarkable but I do get an occasional star
A very floriferous white polyanthus.  I like the smaller flowers.
A seedling with 'Dark Rosaleen' in its parentage.  The flowers are paler and the foliage not as dark
Primula 'Dark Rosaleen'

Roma

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2017, 10:51:23 PM »
Primula 'Tipperary Purple - an old Jack in the green type primrose
The plant on the right of this picture is a jack in the green seedling with bigger paler flowers
Primula 'Belarina Yellow'
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:57:47 PM by Roma »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2017, 09:51:09 AM »
Nice collection Roma. Why don't you think your x 'Blairside Yellow' is true? I think you've done well to get it to flower I've lost it many times.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Roma

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2017, 12:05:15 PM »
David,  I think the colour of not 'Blairside Yellow' is wrong.  It's more of a mustard yellow compared to the real one and the bronze or purplish colour of the tube does not seem right.  I must buy another 'Blairside Yellow' if I see it for sale to compare the flowers.  It is a long time since I had the real one and I don't think I had them both in flower at the same time.  I did mention to David Rankin (Kevock ) when I bought it that it looked different bit he had no explanation.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2017, 01:59:54 PM »
Hi Roma,

I'll email you a large file of my plant from 2014 if it's any use.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »
Roma, very nice primulas! :)
I didn't know that 'Dark Rosaleen' can set seeds, now I have to watch it carefully this year if I can get seeds from it. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Roma

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2017, 02:47:08 PM »
Leena, this was a self sown seedling so 'Dark Rosaleen' may have been the pollen parent and not the seed one.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2017, 10:49:02 PM »
David,  I think the colour of not 'Blairside Yellow' is wrong.  It's more of a mustard yellow compared to the real one and the bronze or purplish colour of the tube does not seem right.  I must buy another 'Blairside Yellow' if I see it for sale to compare the flowers.  It is a long time since I had the real one and I don't think I had them both in flower at the same time.  I did mention to David Rankin (Kevock ) when I bought it that it looked different bit he had no explanation.

Roma, your plant certainly looks different to the one I have as 'Blairside Yellow'. Mine has nice clear yellow flowers, rather lighter than yours and the tube is concolorous with the petals. Also, I note the leaves on your plant are very definitely toothed at the margin, whereas in mine they are only slightly toothed. I will strike a couple of cuttings for you and bring them to the late bulb event.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2017, 08:09:19 AM »
Leena, this was a self sown seedling so 'Dark Rosaleen' may have been the pollen parent and not the seed one.

Thank you. I don't get many self sown seedlings from primulas, but I will watch out for them.
Leena from south of Finland

Roma

« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2017, 08:24:53 PM »
Roma, your plant certainly looks different to the one I have as 'Blairside Yellow'. Mine has nice clear yellow flowers, rather lighter than yours and the tube is concolorous with the petals. Also, I note the leaves on your plant are very definitely toothed at the margin, whereas in mine they are only slightly toothed. I will strike a couple of cuttings for you and bring them to the late bulb event.
Thank you Matt.  I would like that.  I'm afraid only two shoots on my plant so none to spare.  It is recovering after being poorly (or neglected) for a few years.  If you fancy anything else I grow just let me know.

Roma

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2017, 10:40:12 PM »
Auricula 'Spring Meadows'
Another neglected primula which has not flowered for some years.  The label has faded.  Can anyone help with a name?  I think it is a species.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal