We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2017 - Robert's botanical adventures in Northern California  (Read 91032 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2017 - Robert's botanical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #675 on: October 20, 2017, 04:41:09 AM »

Of coarse, many of the evergreen species come to the forefront of attention as the deciduous species go dormant. Pinemat Manzanita, Arctostaphylos nevadensis, is one of my favorite species. The chestnut stems of this species creeping over the granodiorite boulders are very pleasing.

Huckleberry Oak, Quercus vacciniifolia, is a very common component of the high elevation chaparral plant community. This year they were loaded with acorns. I was somewhat surprised to find so many. I thought that they would be a food source for many different animals that live in the region.

I made good time hiking up the trail and arrived at Lake Sylvia, 8,048 feet (2,453 meters) at 10:45 a.m. The terrain surrounding Lake Sylvia is quite beautiful. To the northeast a beautiful cirque opens above the lake and is always a welcome sight to see.

I spent a few minutes poking around the lake before setting off for the summit of Pyramid Peak. For sentimental reasons I visited this pool in the nearby creek. I caught my first trout in this pool back in 1960. This creek flows from the large cirque to the northeast of Lake Sylvia but does not flow into Lake Sylvia. Clearly there were trout in this section of the creek back in 1960, however I no longer see any and they may indeed be gone.

Now it was time to set off for the summit of Pyramid Peak. The southwestern ridge is the easiest and most direct route to the summit of Pyramid Peak. There are several ways to reach the southwest ridge from Lake Sylvia. I used the route pictured in this photograph. It may look difficult, however it is actually quite easy to scramble up the slope and through the notch in the ridge. Some of the rocks at the base are huge and take time to work around.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #676 on: October 20, 2017, 04:44:10 AM »

It is a steep hike to the summit of Pyramid Peak, but basically it can be walked and does not require any climbing.  I made good time and at 12:30 p.m. I reached the summit, 9,983 feet (3,043 meters). I have my priorities, so weather observations and measurements were conducted first; Clear, 39 F (3.9 C), Winds SW 5G15. Sometimes I bring my mercury sling psychrometer, but not today.

Pyramid Peak is the highest peak of the Crystal Range and there is a wonderful panorama of the surrounding countryside from the summit. Mount Price (pictured) is the next peak slightly to the northwest of Pyramid Peak, however in this photograph the summit is somewhat hidden by the ridge in the foreground.

To the north is Dicks Peak, 9,974 feet (3,040 meters). The grayish peak in the foreground is Jacks Peak, 9,856 feet (3,004 meters). Lake Aloha can be seen below Jacks Peak to the right. A metamorphic roof pendant runs through this area and is extremely interesting. Hopefully I will be able to visit this area in the future and give a report on the plants in this area as well as the geology and other aspects of the natural history.

Also to the north, sandwiched between the crest of the Crystal Range and Dicks Peak and the ridge extending north from Dicks Peak, is Rockbound Valley. Clyde Lake, just north over Mosquito Pass from Lake Aloha, is the headwaters of the Rubicon River which flows northward from Clyde Lake.

This view is to the southeast down the spine of the Sierra Nevada. In the distance, the high peak slightly right of center is Round Top Peak, 10,381 feet (3,164 meters). The canyon of the South Fork of the American River can be seen in the foreground.

To the southwest a patchwork of small meadows can be seen in the high elevation forest. It is my understanding that the meadows are slowly being encroached upon by the surrounding forest. Climate change and fire suppression are the hypothesized causal agents for this change. To the right is the ridge I hiked to the summit. Easy!
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #677 on: October 20, 2017, 04:46:41 AM »

To the northeast South Lake Tahoe can be seen in the distance and the Nevada shore of Lake Tahoe beyond. The southern portion of Lake Aloha is in the foreground. Yes, Lake Aloha is fairly large.

Almost directly east is Lower Echo Lake. There is an Upper Echo Lake, however only a tiny sliver can be seen just to the left of Lower Echo Lake. Back in the early 1970’s there was a Boy Scout camp at the upper end of Upper Echo Lake. When I was a teenager I spent a week or so each summer at the camp. I was not a very good Boy Scout and spent most of my time in the wilderness, not in the camp. On another occasion, I secretly slept in an unoccupied tent in the camp one night and left early in the morning to hike to my father’s cabin at Gerle Creek. 36 miles (58 km) in one day! The sun set when I arrived at Loon Lake, but this was home territory for me, so I keep hiking into the night until I arrived at the cabin. Nobody was there, but I knew how to get in through the second level window. I was tired, and that bed sure felt good!

To the west the Sacramento Valley was very smoky from numerous forest fires.

After taking in the fantastic views from the summit, I started my return hike to Lake Sylvia. On my way down, near the summit, I spotted a small colony of Eriogonum lobbii. They were the only plants of this species I encountered on this outing.

This pointed pinnacle northwest of Pyramid Peak is quite interesting. About ten years ago when I was exploring the summit of Mount Price, I climb out to the tip of the pinnacle to look straight down the cliff and off to the east. Where the trees are in the foreground is another cliff face. When I was much younger, I was foolish enough to try to free climb the western cliff face of Pyramid Peak. Fortunately, it was far too difficult for me to climb without rope, so I turned back. Now I have a bit of sanity and do not attempt such things.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #678 on: October 20, 2017, 04:49:33 AM »

This is one of the views down the cliff face. Not too bad? Look at the rock below the snowfield. It is a straight drop down from that point. A number of years ago I climbed down to these lakes from the summit of Pyramid Peak. I do not remember how I did it. Maybe it is too scary to think of such things now. The lakes are very interesting and good habitat for Yellow-legged Frogs, Rana muscosa. I don’t remember seeing any on my last trip to the lakes.

As I worked my way down the ridge, I had a good view of another small high alpine lake.

I have never been to this lake. In the future, it looks like a great place to explore for interesting plants. It will be easy to return to this site and also check to see if there are any Yellow-legged Frogs.

This was my return route down off the southwestern ridge. It looks like it could be difficult, but it is mostly just hiking. There were only a few places where I needed to do some very easy climbing to lower myself off a shelf or two.

From the base of the cirque, there was another view of the cleft I hiked up earlier in the day to the southwestern ridge.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #679 on: October 20, 2017, 04:52:37 AM »

The base of the cirque is well watered and full of all sorts of interesting plant species. Most were frosted into dormancy, however I did see some beautiful plants. Heuchera rubescens (pictured) is one of my favorites.

The main color show of Vaccinium cespitosum was almost over. This specimen was still in its prime. It is a fantastic species and very easy to cultivate in the garden.

This is one of my favorite autumn, alpine combinations, Phyllodoce breweri and Vaccinium cespitosum. At its best, the contrast between the deep green foliage of the Phyllodoce and the scarlet autumn color of the Vaccinium is stunning. One of these days I hope to duplicate this combination in our Sacramento garden.

As I worked my way down to Lake Sylvia, I came across a few plants of Eriogonum umbellatum var. polyanthum still in bloom (almost!). I have never observed this species blooming this late in the season. This is one of those things I like to wonder about and investigate.

Closer to the lake I encountered Aspidotis densa in several locations. This species has a tremendous altitude and habitat range. It is quite common in extremely xeric situations at lower elevations and seems quite happy in xeric alpine habitats too.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #680 on: October 20, 2017, 04:55:05 AM »

It was now getting late in the day, so I did not waste any time around Lake Sylvia. A sort distance below the lake there is a series of small meadows surrounded by numerous Ericaceae species.

Rhododendron columbianum is one of a number of Ericaceae that grow abundantly at this site. In the “spring”, early summer up here, the flowering display in the meadows is spectacular. I spent some time poking around the meadow to see if I could spot anything unusual. I often observe considerable leave variation with Rhododendron columbianum and was curious what I might find. I did not find anything out of the ordinary, however I will return to explore these sites repeatedly.

As I moved down the Lyons Creek drainage toward the trailhead, I took a moment to view Lyons Creek.

The trail leading back to the Outback.

With winter type storms forecast to arrive soon, this might be my last outing into the high country of the Sierra Nevada for this season. Despite the fact that many species were dormant or frozen, this was still an extremely productive and enjoyable outing. Close to 100 species were cataloged, including one species new to me in this area, Grape-fern, Scepridium multifidum.

My next outing is planned to occur in a few weeks. Deer hunting season will be over and it will be safe to explore part of the north ridge above Hell Hole Reservoir. Weather permitting; this could be a very interesting outing.

Until next time…….

Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #681 on: October 20, 2017, 02:33:12 PM »
A tremendous report, Robert!
Safe travels till your next one,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #682 on: October 20, 2017, 04:42:17 PM »
Cracking report as usual Robert. I hope the weather remains both walkable and climbable for you. We have the 'joys' of Storm Brian to experience tonight and all day Saturday and certainly for the South West spring tides. Probably be best to stay in bed all Saturday :D Who names these storms? ::)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Robert

« Reply #683 on: October 20, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
Fermi, David,

Thank you for the comments.  :)  8)

Who names these storms?  ???  All the storms are named these days? or only some? Who decides such things?

Here is a list of birds seen on my recent outing:

Golden-crowned sparrow - Zonotrichia atricapilla
Mountain Chickadee - Parus gambeli
Common Raven - Corvus corax
Clark's Nutcracker - Nucifraga columbiana
Spotted Towhee - Pipilo maculatus
Red-breasted Nuthatch - Sitta canadensis
White-crowned Sparrow - Zonotrichia leucophys
Steller's Jay - Cyanocitta stelleri
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #684 on: October 20, 2017, 07:00:54 PM »
The storms have only been named for the last few years. I think it is mainly the Irish Met Office who choose which weather system to name and what to call it. No doubt the idea came from the naming of tropical storms (hurricanes and typhoons).
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Robert

« Reply #685 on: October 21, 2017, 03:23:37 AM »
The storms have only been named for the last few years. I think it is mainly the Irish Met Office who choose which weather system to name and what to call it. No doubt the idea came from the naming of tropical storms (hurricanes and typhoons).

Any clues why the storms are being named? Are they stronger/more powerful than average? It is hard to believe that it is nothing more than some sort of capriciousness.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #686 on: October 21, 2017, 03:45:17 AM »
Last night the first autumn storm from the Gulf of Alaska arrived.

I was fortunate to be at Loon Lake today. This view is from Chipmunk Bluff. Tells Peak, the northern most peak of the Crystal Range can be seen with a dusting of snow.

This view is from Chipmunk Bluff across the canyon of the South Fork of the Rubicon River. All the conifers on the north facing slope are still covered with snow. The elevation is about 6,000 feet (1,828 meters).

This is a typical scene with autumn colors in the Sierra Nevada. In this photograph California Black Oak, Quercus kelloggii, is providing the yellow color. In other places Bigleaf Maple, Acer macrophyllum, are bright yellow-gold right now. In still other places Pacific Dogwood, Cornus Nuttallii, is crimson. There are many other deciduous trees and shrubs turning color now too. It is extremely beautiful. I can't get enough of it!  8)

Loon Lake and the northern end of the Crystal Range + Tells Peak. There was about 2.5 cm of snow at lake level. I was taking meteorological measurements: Mostly Cloudy, 41 F (5 C), Relative Humidity 76%, Dewpoint 34 F (1.1 C), Wind SW 5mph, Barometer 30.04" steady.

It has been a long day. Time to rest!  :)   8)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #687 on: October 21, 2017, 01:31:19 PM »

A few more autumn scenes from the Sierra Nevada.

This photograph was taken at Camp Creek a few days ago.

A close-up of Pacific Dogwood, Cornus nuttallii. Near Camp Creek, there are also thickets of Cornus sessilis. They too can have nice autumn leaf color.

California Black Oak, Quercus kelloggii, generally has autumn leaves that turn some shade of yellow. A small percentage will turn red. This tree was photographed on Peavine Ridge two days ago. There appears to be a genetic component to this characteristic. I know of one location on Peavine Ridge where there are numerous trees that turn red. It is very unfortunate that there is no economic incentive to improve many species. Creating a seed line of Quercus kelloggii that has red autumn foliage seems very possible.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #688 on: October 21, 2017, 06:52:55 PM »
Any clues why the storms are being named? Are they stronger/more powerful than average? It is hard to believe that it is nothing more than some sort of capriciousness.
Robert, take a look here - https://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=446. They say "Naming storms has been proved to raise awareness of severe weather in the UK, crucially prompting people to take action to prevent harm to themselves or their property.”
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #689 on: October 21, 2017, 11:03:03 PM »
Robert, how interesting your comment about fall colour in Q.kelloggii !!. I've got only two specimens here on my property. They turn both brilliant scarlet in fall. It all depends whether they get light frosts first before the hard frost hit badly. Then they turn dull brown with leaves staying until leafing out in spring. Mine have not awakened from dormancy yet although they are with swollen buds. It grows quite slowly and it has never set any acorns yet. All the other broadleaved mentioned above have been on my wish list for quite a few years by now... :)
Arturo Tarak

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal