We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS show Loughborough Mar08  (Read 13109 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: AGS show Loughborough Mar08
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 12:32:54 AM »
I agree about you conservation comment Maggi. But I too, have no problem with discreet seed collection or cutting material where appropriate. In the case of the celmisias above, I can only be thrilled that Ian Leslie DID presumably, receive some seed from someone because his specimens are superb. Though a foliage class, I see he will have some flowers soon on C. philocremna. Congratulations to him.

And a belated note to thank you for the excellent weather report you sent earlier (The Wither). At the time I couldn't hear it because some idiot had been poking about in the back of my hard drive and put the speaker cord back into the wrong hole. Everything turned on but no sound. Sorted now so I could enjoy the Scottish weather very much.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 12:36:40 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 12:38:29 AM »
Diane I don't think I've ever taken a pic of the little Anisotome; it's very inconspicuous in the wild but I believe either Dave Toole ofr David Lyttle has posted some pics somewhere, probably on one of the Field trip threads. As a cultivated plant it looks very nice indeed.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 12:43:17 AM »
Exactly, Lesley, responsible collection can only help to increase knowledge and awareness of  the world's wildflowers and may yet be the saving of many of them from extinction.  Given the indiscriminate development for recreation, housing and commerce around the world which can destroy habitat completely in the course of a few hours, I am profoundly grateful to all those plant hunters from history and the present, who enrich our lives and gardens and open the eyes of many to the delights of the natural flora of so many countries.
But when so much is heard about wholesale removal of plants from the wild for commercial purposes, and when one also hears that collection must be by permit and then that there are so many places where even a botanic garden cannot get such permits, it is surely confusing to the onlooker who then sees collected material on display.......what message does this send?  Where wild collected bulbs or plants are shown, would it not be better to have clear notice of the bona fide certification involved given too?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 01:24:12 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 12:52:18 AM »
Diane, there is a pic of Anisotome imbricata in flower in this thread: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=45.msg415;topicseen#msg415

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 09:36:55 AM »
Maggi,

Delayed reply as I went to bed after the last pictures were posted (I need my beauty sleep, desperately)

About the Ophrys - it was part of a three pan entry from Carl; all Ophrys species.
But then as he lives in Wolverhampton (English midlands for our overseas readers), then it's positively in the banana belt from where you are sitting.  ;D

Peter
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 09:56:35 AM »
I was unable to get to Loughborough on Saturday. So thanks for the pics Dianne and Peter. Should be able to make Blackpool this weekend, we are even hoping to have have something to show, for the first time. Any tips out there for us 'show virgins'?
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2008, 10:09:43 AM »
Mick, if you think a plant you have is looking good, healthy and fresh, then it will be of interest to the viewing public,and  so is a worthy show entry.
If the pot is nice and clean, the name label is horizontal and the plant as neat as you can get it, in respect of no chewed leaves, half-dead flowers, greenfly or slugs etc. then those are the most immediate checks you can make beforehand.
It is VITAL for ALL shows that folks like yourselves begin to exhibit and ensure a continuing display of plants to encourage the public to appreciate the beauty of rock garden and alpine plants.
Well done for your desire to take part and good luck with your entry...a red first ticket is a lovely reward for all the work the exhibitor has put in to furnish the show benches!

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement Maggi. That was exactly what Mandy and I were thinking. We have enjoyed the shows over the last year or so, thanks to initial interest generated on the forum, and feel encourage to take part ourselves.
Not thinking of red tickets Maggi, it will be reward enough this week if we get anything suitable for putting on the bench in section C.
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2008, 10:23:25 AM »
Thanks Dianne and Peter - very good shots of what looks to have been a great show.
Thanks for sharing - after all I can't make "the hop" every Saturday  ;D ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2008, 10:56:33 AM »
Here are a few that took my fancy. I'm not sure but there may be some duplications with Diane.
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
And a few more including an hepatica fro a forumist

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2008, 11:00:31 AM »
and finally

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »
Mick: further to my earlier comments, look at the presentation of the Farrer Medal plant and the lovely Primula 'Arduaine'...... yes, the plants are perfect, but see the level odf attention paid to the neat rocks around the Farrer plant and the pristine moss aroundthe primula... making a "frame" for the plants in their pots.... makes even a great plant look even beter.... there's often a clue, eh?!!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »
Just caught this thread. I like the Ophrys and that is a very nice pot of Galanthus 'Virescens': another plant that seems to evade capture, inspite of my best efforts.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2008, 12:33:39 PM »
I was one of the other forumists in the hall, so I'll add my pictures, some of which may duplicate Diane's (by the way, she wasn't in the pub that long, she left before I did).

Ah, but you don't know what time I arrived at the pub .. ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 12:47:06 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal