We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendrons 2017  (Read 17115 times)

Roma

Re: Rhododendrons 2017
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »
Rhododendrons were looking beautiful on Sunday but after tow nights with frost are all mushy now :'(

Two views of dwarf Rhododendrons
Rhododendron 'Phalarope'
Rhododendron hippophaeoides 'Haba Shan'
Rhododendron hippophaeoides (Yu 13845)  not sure of the number but that is the only one in the Plantfinder.  Not sure if it is still in Glendoick catalogue. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 08:37:11 PM »
Rhododendron augustinii was going to have the best flowering for years.  The lower flowers were out and the ones at the top of the bush needed another two days to be at their best.  Anemone nemorosa at its base was not consciously planned but looked good.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »
Rhododendron kesangiae -one of the few large-leaved rhodies to thrive in my garden (I lack the space and wind-shelter).

Rhododendron megeratum -the Bodnant form. Grows on a sunny raised bed facing south and protected from excess frost by adjacent house walls and large fence. It survived the hard freeze of 2010 here but was partly defoliated despite fleece protection.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 02:14:35 PM »
Steve

My that is one lovely no-apologies-pink kesangiae.

I got cuttings from a friend in Victoria of that marvelous Bodnant form of megeratum last autumn.  Every one rooted including cuttings of what arrived; I used one third each live green sphagnum, peat and pumice.  All placed in plastic bags under lights 24 hours on at 17c.  All rooted in a few weeks and were growing away in short order, new shoots consistently pinched after 2 leaves. Nice bushy plants now and ready to go out.

Thanks for posting - spectacular photography as usual.

john
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:04:23 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 04:50:53 PM »

Scottish Gardens‏- Rhodoendron Festival - loads of lovely gardens taking part, Glendoick etc .... but this particular link is for Glenarn.... http://discoverscottishgardens.org/garden/glenarn-glorious-gardens-of-argyll-and-bute/

Join Glenarn owners Mike and Sue to celebrate rhododendrons on the 29thApril. as part of the #RhodoFest  https://tinyurl.com/n22oknh - follow either of the links given  for  some photos

From the DSG site :
 " From Catherine Erskine, Chair of Discover Scottish Gardens:

“Welcome to Discover Scottish Gardens.”

“We hope to encourage you to discover new gardens that you have never visited, find nurseries where unusual plants are grown, seek out champion trees in gardens and woodlands, uncover gardens large and small, visit sculpture gardens, locate places to stay with good gardens and identify societies to join and learn more about plants and gardens.”

“If you are a student or volunteer, I also hope that this website will help you to find a placement of training. Search individual garden profiles for volunteer opportunities.”
Vision

There are over 300 gardens open to the public in Scotland, and the diversity of plants on offer is staggering. Our vision is to inspire you to visit Scotland’s gardens, whether you’re interested in horticulture or simply wanting an enjoyable day out.
Mission

The mission of Discover Scottish Gardens is to showcase the diversity and beauty of our gardens and to inspire and inform you to plan trips to gardens across Scotland.
About Us

Discover Scottish Gardens is a network of gardens, plant nurseries and related businesses which have come together to promote the rich diversity of our gardens to Scotland’s many visitors.

Our Steering Group is made up of garden and horticultural organisations
including: the National Trust for Scotland; the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh; Scotland’s Gardens; Cambo Estate; Attadale Gardens and Brightwater Holidays.

We aim to provide a platform for members to share the wonderful horticultural array that Scotland has on offer all year round, as well as launching new festivals and events to celebrate the seasons.

Discover Scottish Gardens is a not-for-profit co-operative and is financed through membership subscriptions, sponsorship and funding from VisitScotland’s Growth Fund.

Our website is designed to showcase the diversity and beauty of our gardens and to provide would-be visitors with practical information about getting to a garden and about what to expect when they arrive.

Contact us at info@discoverscottishgardens.org  "
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 06:59:40 PM »
I love your Rhododendron bed Roma, wish I had the acid soil and space for similar. Instead I'm building a little collection of dwarf growers which are in pots at the moment. They were destined for troughs but I'm not sure I've enough level ground left to stand them on. Here's one of them R. fastigiatum

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2017, 07:43:19 PM »
Rhododendron luteum, Rhododendron 'Ems' (left) and Rhododendron rubidosum (right), Rhododendron spinuliferum, and Rhododendron 'Egret'.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Garden Prince

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »
Two seedlings from a (bureavii x yakushimanum) x kesangiae cross. Seeds came from The American Rhododendron Society seedlist 2015.

johnw

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2017, 03:17:41 PM »
Two seedlings from a (bureavii x yakushimanum) x kesangiae cross. Seeds came from The American Rhododendron Society seedlist 2015.

I did the same cross in 2004, the plants have been desperately slow. The root systems were very poor and another hybridizer told me to throw them out, well that was certainly not going to happen! Here's a shot from this past autumn, it seems to have snapped out of its stupor.  One kesangiae cross from the same year but with a different & complex seed parent is budded so we shall see if the wait was worth it.

john
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:49:34 PM by johnw »

Thorkild Godsk

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 06:44:51 AM »
There is time in Rhododendron bloom now,
but it is a cold April months.
Picture 1: Rh Pratti
Picture 2: Rh wasonii cox Yllow am form
Picture 3: Rh trailianum
Picture4: Rh wallichii
Picture 5: Rh globigerum
Thorkild DK.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:46:53 AM by Thorkild Godsk »
Thorkild.dk

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 10:15:34 PM »
Rhododendron edgeworthii -This plant is a survivor having lived through a number of bad winters (including the -15C of 2010-2011). It grows in a dilapidated unheated shade tunnel from which it has recently burst out into the sunlight. In the tunnel it is leggy and far from pretty but the branches which have pushed through the shade netting into the sunlight are compact and laden with glorious scented blooms.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

johnw

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 11:24:17 PM »
Steve - It doesn't get much better than that in the rhodo world......

johnw
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:35:07 PM by johnw »

johnw

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 11:27:06 PM »
A couple of updates from Jens Birck, we saw these in bud a while back.

('Bambi' x proteides) x citriniflorum ssp. horaeum @ Birck's

Charme-La x cinnabarinum 'Nepal' P1050620, this could be an incredible breakthrough.

john
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 01:57:54 PM by johnw »

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »
I decided to take a risk with some scented varieties and planted them on an east facing wall....against all advice I had read.  The result...so far...has been a success.

This is their second year in situ and they have been flowering well.  Martha Wright has been covered in blooms and is still flowering with more buds yet to open.  The Edgeworthii has only one leaf which has browned and Lady Alice is also growing strongly.  Tinkerbird will be opened shortly and extend the perfume season and the Loderi has also opened although some pruning may have to be done as the bulk of the flowers are some 8 feet up.  My johnstoneanum is bit of a disappointment.  Although growing well and flowering it has no scent. We bought it because of it's strong perfume but seemingly nobody told my plant what it was expected to do !

On our way back from the Perth show, my car took an involuntary turn into Glendoick and despite my protestations that we did not have a square inch of space left in the garden we left with two small Rhoddies !....Levinei and Camelliiflorum.  I will probably grow these in pots along with my fragrantissimum and sestertianum.

My remaining Augustinii is surviving and flowering without any help from me.  The other one was killed by me when trying to straighten it after a gale.  It snapped at ground level.
I was later told that the stems are brittle and should not be bent...wise council but too late !
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2017, 02:34:33 PM »
On our way back from the Perth show, my car took an involuntary turn into Glendoick and despite my protestations that we did not have a square inch of space left in the garden we left with two small Rhoddies !

;D ;D ;D
Oh how true.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal