We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendrons 2017  (Read 16939 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Rhododendrons 2017
« on: January 09, 2017, 09:05:51 PM »
A sorry start to the year with this news ....
We have learned of the the deaths of two influential members of the gardening community - Sir Ilay Campbell and Timothy Whiteley The RHS  comments: Timothy Whiteley was a member of  RHS Council,  a member of the Woody Plant Committee  (and a Friend of the Committee from 2013), and a member of the Picture Committee . In addition he served short terms on the Affiliated Societies, Gardens, Horticultural Halls, Publications, RHS Enterprises, and Wisley Advisory Committees. He was Chairman of the Lily Group Committee from 1996 to 2006. 
 He was a plantsman with an expert knowledge of many trees and shrubs, as well as an enthusiastic grower of snowdrops and lilies (he supervised the International Lily Conference in 2004).  He was the holder of the National Collection of Euonymus at his woodland garden at Evenley Wood in Northamptonshire.  He was awarded the Veitch Memorial Medal in 2004, the Lyttel Lily Cup in 2011, and also the OBE.

The National Trust  writes: Sir Ilay Campbell inherited Crarae on the west coast of Scotland in 1968 and oversaw its transfer to the National Trust for Scotland in 2002. Sir Ilay’s extended service on the National Trust for Scotland’s Scottish Gardens Committee (1968 to 1986 and again from 1994 to 2002) led to a number of additional roles including that of  the Trust’s consultant to Achamore House Garden, Gigha (from 1980 to 1991). Of particular note too was his work for the Trust as Chairman of the Arduaine Garden Local Advisory Committee (from 1996 to 2001).

It was with great pleasure that the Trust was able to acquire Crarae Garden from the Crarae Garden Charitable Trust in 2002, following a successful fundraising appeal, thereby securing a long-term future for the garden which had developed under the care of many generations of Sir Ilay’s family. It was a pleasure to see the enjoyment he took in seeing the initial restoration of the garden there.

We remain truly appreciative of Sir Ilay’s interest in plants - and his willingness to share that expertise by letters, visits and articles - which has informed the Trust’s gardens over many years. Always a gentleman and diplomat he made an exceptional contribution to the work of the Trust’s gardens.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Rhododendrons 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 07:37:35 PM »
First Rh. of the year for me.  With next to no frost ( -1°C ) being the lowest, Rh.cilpinense has survived to flower.  It has been out now for over a week. Hopefully it will last a bit yet if we can escape any frosts.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 07:38:52 PM »
Such a charmer, Tom, if prone to frost -  trying hard to open here too- it will if we get some sun.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 08:07:25 PM »
Whilst most of the Country appears to have a reasonably nice spell of weather today was my first gardening day for a week, after a week of dour, dreich, drizzly days (oh, such alliteration!). Constant weak fronts coming in from the South West but 13C at lunchtime.

Rhododendron praecox, perhaps a little passed it's best. I noticed that Graham Catlow posted his at least a couple of weeks ago.
R. 'Egret'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 07:03:00 PM »
Rhododendron 'Snow Lady'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 12:07:00 AM »
Rhododendron 'Snow Lady'

That's a lovely one David and looks very happy!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 01:17:08 PM »
Rhododendron racemosum.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Graham Catlow

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 08:08:15 PM »
Rhododendron montroseanum settling into its new home nicely. 18 months after its transfer from my previous garden.

568596-0

568598-1
Bo'ness. Scotland

Graham Catlow

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 08:15:22 PM »
A new one for me from Glendoick's sale last summer - Rhododendron hookeri. Several more to follow from the sale as they flower.

568600-0

568602-1
Bo'ness. Scotland

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 08:46:14 PM »
Rhododendron leucaspis -a hasty image taken before the impending frosts that are forecast over the next few nights.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »
Some rhododendrons taken at Culzean at the weekend

Although we had no snow here and the temp. was +5°C , it's touch and go for the next couple of nights  As luck would have it, my Rh.edgeworthii, Lady Alice Fitzwilliam and johnstonianum are in full bud and ready to open in about a week.  The last thing I need is a night frost.  I have taken my fragrantissimum indoors and it is on the dining room table.  How did it get so big !!
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 06:26:10 PM »
A few more.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 07:11:31 PM »
The Gunnera really does look pretty awful at this time of year!

Temperature here - which has been cold and windy all day, is dropping even more now it's dark Goodness knows what we'll get tomorrow.   

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »
Nice set of pictures Tom.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Roma

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »
Rhododendron 'Snow Lady' yesterday.  She's looking a bit brown today after -2C  last night.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal