We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ranunculus lyallii  (Read 9337 times)

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
Re: Ranunculus lyallii
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 09:30:29 PM »
I'll second that Maggi.  Foundation member status for the rest of us?

Dunedin, New Zealand

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 10:02:48 PM »
I'll second that Maggi.  Foundation member status for the rest of us?

I think I'm nearer graduate status than foundation   ;D  ;D  ;D
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 10:23:25 PM »
I am a member of the dead label and flowerpot society,anyone want to join?

I've been a life member for many years. The annual subscription is hugely expensive, even for life members.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »
I've been a life member for many years. The annual subscription is hugely expensive, even for life members.
OOh, errrr.... that's quite true.... I hadn't thought of the expense... perhaps I can't afford the subscription to the formal club... I may have to stay as a lurker on the fringe   :-[ :-\

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 11:20:59 PM »
I keep all the plant labels of failures in a pot in the potting shed just to remind me that at some time I might be foolish to give them another chance. Just the other day I knocked the said pot over and spent a long time -too long- picking them up. Perhaps I should bin them as they can become bad karma and a reminder of just how bad my plant spending habit is  ::)

Perhaps that's why my signature is "always room for another plant" as there is plenty of room after the cadavas have been removed  ;D
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 11:52:32 PM »
We have a friend who keeps a memorial pot of dead labels.....well, several pots, actually.... too depressing for me, I'm afraid.
A local SRGC member  had some success with Ranunculus lyallii for a little while , growing it in the banks of a stream, as I recall. I'm sure ithey did flower.... at least once...... Roma, if you are reading this, I'm thinking of Ian Brooker... can you remember more than I? 

Now I'm thinking even more of Ian Brooker, for he is not at all well these days and in need of great care  from his lovely wife, Marie.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 02:59:54 AM »
When we moved from our last garden to the present one, over 10 years ago, I threw out 2 banana boxes full of dead labels. It was like a great weight being taken off my shoulders. Now I don't keep them unless I can use the other side for cuttings or seed pots. There's always a little heap of once used labels on the kitchen bench, waiting to be washed before re-use. Why don't I get a life and just use new labels?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 09:18:59 AM »
Returning to the problems of cultivation of Ranunculus lyallli, Susan lives in the coolest, wettest part of Dunedin hence a clue to her success in growing this plant.  I nature it grows on high fertility sites generally amongst tussock or shrubs where there is ample moisture ( high rainfall and free drainage) The large leaves are an adaption to low levels of light (overcast, rainy days rather than shade). Flowering is likely to be intiated the season prior to it occurring. I believe that plants require a cold induced period of dormancy to remain healthy snow cover rather than hard frosts.  It is naturally summer-green only but at low altitude plants tend to keep growing throughout the year and eventually weaken and die. Its altitudinal range is 700 - 1500 metres (2,500 - 5000 ft).

So if you live in a cool wet climate with some winter snow you will possibly get the plant growing and flowering. The accepted common name for this plant is the Great Mountain Buttercup. It is not a lily and does not grow exclusively at Mt Cook
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 09:30:46 AM »
Very informative Dave these comments just go to show why this and some other mountain dwellers such as Eritrichium nanum are not at home at lower altitudes. I knew I was probably failing for some reason other than just pure incompetence as I have always taken a great deal of care over planting. As to conditions I'm afraid snow cover is a thing of the past but wet summers well.............. Reading all of these comments I am hatching a plan which no doubt will mean another failure but hope springs eternal as they say. And anyway it is better than cutting out the middle man and placing it directly on the compost heap
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Gene Mirro

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 11:34:22 PM »
More info:  http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/native-plants/mount-cook-lily/

"Plenty of water, good drainage and shade in hot areas are required and it is intolerant of high nutrient levels in soil."
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 12:59:26 AM »
This is a bolt from the blue surely? The post above the one above was made on my 65th birthday. The next reply comes when I'm jolly near 72! ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal