We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2018  (Read 37207 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Hepatica 2018
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »
It sounds like it, doesn't it? Sorry about that - I do strongly advise attention though!  8) 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carsten

« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2018, 03:00:36 PM »
Dear Hepatica growers,
instead of waiting an extra season for seedlings to germinate with the seed exchange in winter I can spread some Hepatcia nobilis seed now.

Sorry, only one portion of
'Giselle'  white
'Selma' salmon
'Tausendschön' blue multipetaled

and more then ten portions of
'Bavarian Blue' white with blue spots

Feel free to ask  ;)  and send a PM
Carsten
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2018, 10:03:29 AM »
Some pictures of H.nobilis in my garden last week-end. I love the blue ones in a garden scene, no matter that they are an ordinary colour. You can't get that same blue from anything else, and also there are variations in the blues.

Also two pictures of H.japonica which I have grown from seed. 4-5 seeds germinated, and I planted the whole pot outside, but now I should separate each individual. I guess after flowering would be best, but I want to get seeds from these so I will have to wait until later. Or do you think they root better now than in the summer?
Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2018, 10:17:52 AM »
Some pictures of H.nobilis in my garden last week-end. I love the blue ones in a garden scene, no matter that they are an ordinary colour. You can't get that same blue from anything else, and also there are variations in the blues.

Also two pictures of H.japonica which I have grown from seed. 4-5 seeds germinated, and I planted the whole pot outside, but now I should separate each individual. I guess after flowering would be best, but I want to get seeds from these so I will have to wait until later. Or do you think they root better now than in the summer?
Leena, beautiful pictures and Hepatica's. If you want the seeds, I think it is best to wait till they are ready to sow.
Belgium

Leena

« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »
Thank you Herman. :) It would be best to have seeds to sow because you never know what next winter is going to be like though these plants have survived now for three winters.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2018, 09:28:57 PM »
The hepaticas look very 'at home' with you, Leena.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Leena

« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2018, 08:13:37 AM »
Thank you Anne.  :) Seeds I bought from you last summer have now germinated well, and it is nice to have even more variety to my H.nobilis in a few years.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2018, 02:45:18 PM »
Is it fall or is it spring? :) Actually still summer on this part of Ontario.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2018, 07:58:17 PM »
Is it fall or is it spring? :) Actually still summer on this part of Ontario.

:o
 Wow!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »
Wonderful to see all this lovely hepaticas
I am extra happy to see so many variants of the hardy ones
I am now finally having a possible place to plant my hepaticas where I actually can see them. I have mistreated them in pots so decided that better to plant them now when I have a place.
I would imagine that that south of o hedge with protection from any sun from the east by huge conifers is a ok habitat for them.
The soil is quite compact so will be mixed garden soil. It will be H. nobilis and H. transylvatica.
I will take them out of the pots as intact as possible so even if this might not be ideal time it should be possible.
If people already now sees that this is a huge risk and that it would be better to wait until spring please let me know as I plan to plant on Sunday.
Thanks for any thoughts on this
Kind regards
Joakim

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:53:21 PM by Maggi Young »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2018, 09:11:52 PM »
Hi Joakim,

From the perspective of my cold climate of Ontario, I would say better wait for spring. Of course that it is not impossible as you say; the major worry (in my region) would be
that they won't have time to settle down and the frost heaving will bring them up when no snow on the ground.

Another observation is that Hepaticas do better in locations where they receive plenty of sun in the spring when flowering and then get shaded for the rest of the season.
Usually in the wild they grow under deciduous trees shade.

Good luck!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2018, 12:38:38 PM »
Thanks for the input Gabriela
My thinking was that the hedge would act as a partial shade during during spring. The hedge is a ribes of some sort so should give partial shade.
The other hope is that the intact soil and rots from the pots would keep them in the ground. Normally we only have not so strong ground freezing.
I will see if the forecast talks about if there will be continued warm weather so that rooting / integration in the ground could take place. I will also place a pine branch on top in case of strong freezing to slow down the freezing of the ground as the freezing generally is short.
Thanks
Now I know what to secure if I want to succeed with this.
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal