We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2017  (Read 39655 times)

Mark Griffiths

Re: Cyclamen 2017
« Reply #210 on: November 21, 2017, 10:43:09 AM »
Good question Steve, I was going to mention that but I got distracted. Alpinum should have a honey scent.

Re the hybrid - I'm curious whether another has made the hybrid - or is it that they are presumed because they look intermediate? I wonder the same about the graecum hybrid and a few of the others.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Graeme

« Reply #211 on: November 21, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
Not sure about the first one - labelled Cyclamen coum but I think it looks more like hederifolium
Roma - I have a coum that looks exactly like that one - it came via Mrs R Wallis - the leaves are very plain - very pale and wavey

First year I thought it had virus - but its same again this year - flower is good strong colour with a deep purple nose
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Roma

« Reply #212 on: December 09, 2017, 09:50:44 PM »
Roma - I have a coum that looks exactly like that one - it came via Mrs R Wallis - the leaves are very plain - very pale and wavey

First year I thought it had virus - but its same again this year - flower is good strong colour with a deep purple nose
No sign of flowers on that one yet.  Will have to wait a while for a positive id.
First Cyclamen coum flowers of the season
More flowers opening on the ? alpinum.  I think it may be a different tuber are there are more than one in the pot.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #213 on: December 09, 2017, 10:55:25 PM »
Roma, the two flowers in the front look like alpinum assuming that is as reflexed as the get - if you look at the nose it should be a dark blotch with no paler part as it goes into the throat. It would also probably smell of honey.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

elena

« Reply #214 on: December 13, 2017, 10:37:32 PM »
I like to grow wild cyclamens indoors. I have bought C.purpurascens in different nurseries in 2012-14 and they are growing on four different windowsills. My seedlings of C.purpurascens (seeds obtained from different sources, I can describe the source of the seeds for any of the plants) were grown in the most warm room in the house (temperature rarely dips below 18C and is usually around 20-22C). They germinated in June-July of 2015 and June-July of 2016 and grow under daylight fluorescent lamps (lights are on 17hrs/day). The photographs below were made 1 Dec - 9 Dec 2017.

The photographs are too numerous to be posted here but I have posted them at https://photo.kirill-research.com/cyclamens_12-Dec-2017
You can click on any of the photographs to see the original (big) version of it.

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #215 on: December 14, 2017, 04:53:03 AM »
Hallo Elena,
Your kitchen has a new function :-)
This lookes good. Have You a garden to plant out the seedlings?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:05:00 PM by Harald-Alex. »
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

elena

« Reply #216 on: December 14, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »
Hallo Elena,
Your kitchen has a new function :-)
Thiss lookes good. Have You a garden to plant out the seedlings?
Harald-Alex,
I like my kitchen much more since I can enjoy looking at the cyclamens for most of the day and remember Bravenboer who sent me the seeds of the wonderful cyclamens. As for the garden, I will not see my cyclamens because huge crowds of vine weevils, slugs, snails and cats will be delighted to meet them; frogs will be indifferent and I'm not sure of the opinion of the badgers.

Roma

« Reply #217 on: September 19, 2019, 08:32:45 PM »
Not sure about the first one - labelled Cyclamen coum but I think it looks more like hederifolium
Repotted this one and the tuber is definitely hederifolium.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal