We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in October 2016  (Read 9577 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus in October 2016
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2016, 09:58:17 AM »
How do snowdrop collections come into existence?  There are two strategies:
  • Deep pockets - you buy plants (as per my previous post).
  • Swaps.  Joe Sharman built a business initially on the strength of a yellow-marked snowdrop found by his mother which he was able to swap with snowdrop collectors for other desirable cultivars.
Most avid collectors use both strategies.  The difficult part about 2 is you need a starting point but it's not impossible to discover a desirable snowdrop if you are prepared to look hard.  Or, if you risk a lot of money, you can buy the latest hot snowdrop, propagate it and swap the progeny around.  The third alternative is to breed your own, as forumist Anne Wright ("annew") has done with great success.
Almost in Scotland.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
I'm doing everything Alan has mentioned. I did invest in a couple of expensive ones to start with which I was then able to swap with others and was lucky enough to find a nice drop that now bears my name .
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Bart

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2016, 06:38:47 PM »
Thank you Alan and Emma,
Yes I was afraid of the 'deep pocket' answer... I might manage to get to a snowdrop event some time, to get started. Breeding sounds fun, but I obviously need to start somewhere. I have hundreds of snowdrops, nivalis, elwesii, doubles and 'viridapice' , all nice, but I haven't noticed much variation over the years. I will spend more time on my belly this winter, keeping an eye on them...

In the mean time, do you want to be my friend??? ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »
Bart, the Early Bulb Day of the SRGC usually has  quite a few 'drops for sale - both from the nursery stalls and the members' sales. Most of these are not daft money - especially on the members' stall - though there are often some more expensive rarities for those who seek such things.
Later SRGC shows tend not to be at best snowdrop season so fewer appear there - but there are, of course, all the shows and sales of the Alpine Garden Society and Hardy Plant Society etc - south of the Border.  Some of these may well be within  reach of you in Yorkshire.
The wonderful Anne Wright in York ( see the links in the forum to Dryad Nursery lists)  sells some affordable 'drops every year - plenty scope there to begin a collection of  unusual types. Of course, sometimes something particulaer does catch the eye - and in that case there are those who will live on beans for some weeks to treat themsleves to the object of their desires - but there are many who are not  "in with the in crowd"  or with the resources of Rockefeller who have lovely 'drop collections.  Hang in there!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Bart

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2016, 08:56:01 PM »
That's great info Maggie, thanks. I had clocked Anne's lists, and then forgot again. I'll keep an eye out for it, and may actually one day make it to a SRGC or AGS event. And I'll explore a bit about raising from seed, no doubt there is some info on that somewhere. I haven't looked yet- too many subjects to keep track of...

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2016, 11:45:32 PM »
Bart, I might well be able to provide you with a random assortment of seed pods if you remind me around the beginning of May next year.
Almost in Scotland.

Bart

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2016, 09:46:01 AM »
That would be fantastic! Thanks Alan. Will send a pm around then.

ruben

• alpines and bulbs
    • http://www.passionforbulbs.be/
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2016, 06:57:54 PM »
No its not a joke - the first yellow reginae olgae is flowering here in the garden.
From the hand of a well known UK Nurserymann.. Well done!!!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2016, 06:59:09 PM »
Ghostly little thing, Ruben!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ruben

• alpines and bulbs
    • http://www.passionforbulbs.be/
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2016, 07:00:38 PM »
Galanthus reg olg 'Eleni'
Galanthus elwesii 'Hogget's Narrow' - i amazed by the long and narrow petals of this one
Galanthus reg olg selection with green tips and blush
Galanthus reg olg 'Blanc De Chine'
Galanthus reg olg 'Anmarie Kee' ) without green tips

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2016, 09:17:56 AM »
Lovely to see them all Ruben, the yellow G.reginæ-olgæ is very sweet indeed and 'Hogget's Narrow' is extraordinary in the length of the petals.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal