We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November Snowdrops on Sale at Anglesey Abbey  (Read 2585 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
November Snowdrops on Sale at Anglesey Abbey
« on: November 14, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »
The Plant Sales area of the Anglesey Abbey shop is selling small pots of Galanthus elwesii in flower at £3 per pot.  These are all monostictus but with a wide range of different markings and flower flower shapes.  They have a commercial standard illustrated elwesii label with a small paper label bearing the name 'Galanthus elwesii' and the code 25056.  These would be completely unremarkable in February but are a curious sight in mid-November.  I am tempted to think the bulbs have been forced to make them flower early, but if so how is this done?   
Almost in Scotland.

colineddie1

Re: November Snowdrops on Sale at Anglesey Abbey
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 10:16:28 PM »
I too would think its odd but I have this week Gal H. Purcell in full flower - since I bought it in flower last Feb/March I am more than a little confused as to why it has flowered now.
The proud owner of 4 cats that love to shovel bulbs around the garden for fun!!

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 11:01:26 AM »
It's not been that cold , i guess watering them early might bring them into life a bit early ?
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 12:39:07 PM »
True, Emma, but they seem to have managed to sell the same thing each year for the last few years.  I bought an early snowdrop there at a similar time two years ago (but have lost track of what has become of it).  I'm wondering if some commercial company has found out how to bring-on elwesii snowdrops early?  Either that or they have a big stock of different Hiemalis Group types.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 01:33:44 PM »
I bought this one because its inner petals had the fullest mark of all those on sale.

Almost in Scotland.

ruben

• alpines and bulbs
    • http://www.passionforbulbs.be/
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 06:11:28 PM »
a very nice one alan! Hope is show the same next year!!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 11:01:07 PM »
Yes, this one is a bit reminiscent of 'Peter Gatehouse' but that snowdrop isn't above ground here yet.  All my autumn snowdrops are much later than last year.  I imagine it was too dry in September and October and they weren't able to take in enough moisture to put on growth until the recent rain.
Almost in Scotland.

steve owen

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 11:48:35 PM »
Alan, yes, my earlies are a bit later than the last few years but maybe only a fortnight or so. Barnes, Rainbow Farm Early and Remember Remember are all flowering; Emmelina, r/o Eleni (in open ground) and Corcyrensis are going over; Peter Gatehouse, Mrs Mac, Godfrey Owen and quite a lot of others are showing.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal