We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald  (Read 125464 times)

ian mcdonald

Re: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald
« Reply #435 on: August 27, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »
A naturalist from Cambridge came up to the site today to photograph the sundew plume moth. The day was dull with a cold wind. The two local naturalists who are studying the moth were there. We did not really expect to see the moths due to the cold weather. However, seven adults were seen and he got his photos. Also seen was a larva on a sundew leaf. The larva feed on round leaved sundew leaves and seem to avoid being trapped. Also seen was a tiny beetle, Bembidium humerale. This beetle has only been recorded in England on this site and another site close by.

Larva of sundew plume moth on sundew leaf.

Adult sundew plume moth, Buckleria paludum.

Bembidium humerale.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:29:46 PM by ian mcdonald »

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #436 on: August 28, 2018, 12:39:38 AM »
Ian,

Your last posting was very fascinating. I especially liked the tiny Bemdidium humerale beetle. There are endless details to explore. Thank you for taking the time to share this posting.  8)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #437 on: August 28, 2018, 07:40:30 AM »
Ian it's been a while since i read your posts, the last 5 pages are amazing. Until when the Drosera rosettes are in good state?
Here most are now burnt, seeds pods almost mature.
North of France

ian mcdonald

« Reply #438 on: August 28, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »
Hello Yann, the sundew rosettes here are still mostly fresh but they will be closing down for the winter in the next few weeks.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #439 on: August 30, 2018, 08:45:37 PM »
Yesterday was a better day with a warm sun and only a breeze. I went to two different areas than that being surveyed for the sundew plume moth. In both areas I found a single moth, this expands the known area for the moth slightly. Some of the sundew flower stems are twisted and we wonder what has caused this. Also, some of the seed capsules have holes. While looking closely at sundew plants I noticed an insect moving. I think it may be Heath Assassin Bug, Coranus subapterus, see photo. Many grasshoppers were active as I walked about. A fox moth caterpillar was seen. There are usually quite a few at this time of year. Along a grassy path were plants of Greater Hay Rattle, Rhinanthus angustifolius. These are increasing in number after being sprayed a few years ago. I noticed seven snipe, along with lapwing, searching for food on an exposed piece of peat.

Twisted stems of round leaved sundew.

Heath Assassin Bug?

One of the grasshoppers.

Fox moth caterpillar?

Greater hay rattle.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #440 on: August 30, 2018, 08:50:43 PM »

Snipe and lapwing.

Other birds noticed were, teal, mallard, grey lag goose, sedge warbler, marsh harriers, buzzard, crows, wood pigeons, pheasant, house martins, swallows, (swifts on monday) a small toad and a small frog.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #441 on: September 04, 2018, 07:29:52 AM »
A naturalist from Cambridge came up to the site today to photograph the sundew plume moth. The day was dull with a cold wind. The two local naturalists who are studying the moth were there. We did not really expect to see the moths due to the cold weather. However, seven adults were seen and he got his photos. Also seen was a larva on a sundew leaf. The larva feed on round leaved sundew leaves and seem to avoid being trapped. Also seen was a tiny beetle, Bembidium humerale. This beetle has only been recorded in England on this site and another site close by.

Cool! Everything is food for something!

ian mcdonald

« Reply #442 on: September 05, 2018, 09:43:31 PM »
Today was dull but warm. A bird watcher reported finding Dark Mullein, Verbascum nigrum, on site so I went to have a look. It was another new species for the site, probably introduced with stones which were used to raise the level of a track. The plant was past its best by the time I saw it, see photo. Several yellow fungi were seen on bare peat. I heard a bird calling from a birch tree, a contact call? While going down the main path a small fox ran over the path, not far away on the path was a pheasant. Further on I met one of the estate workers mowing paths and we saw two roe deer. He said he kept flushing them as he was mowing. I met up with the two local naturalists who are studying the sundew plume moth, later. We saw adult moths, larva and eggs. The only butterflies seen by me today were about a dozen speckled woods. Swallows and house martins are still here. Later the two naturalists saw a female hen harrier. Cranes were heard calling in the distance and later two flew past us. Other birds seen or heard were, teal, mallard, marsh harrier, reed bunting, jay, grey lag geese, canada goose, wood pigeons, snipe and kestrel.  Three more of the rare beetle, Bembidion humerale were seen.

Dark mullein, Verbascum nigrum.

Yellow fungus.

A small bird in a tree. Juvenile stonechat?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:50:02 AM by ian mcdonald »

Robert

« Reply #443 on: September 09, 2018, 05:54:00 AM »
Ian,

New species are brought into Eldorado National Forest far too frequently. In almost all the cases they are invasive, noxious species introduced by commercial logging operations. In the present outing discussion that I am posting I will be showing how Phleum pratense, Timothy, and Dactylis glomerata, Orchard Grass, both invasive species, where introduced at a semi-remote site during logging operations during the early 1980's. The plants are persisting to this date and are most likely spreading along the riparian habitat they currently inhabit. This is not the best situation, as the adjacent meadows occupy a unique geologic formation in this area. I have already discovered some highly unusual species at this site. Our low elevation bunch grass ecosystem was completely destroyed by invasive annual grasses. Timothy and Orchard Grass have already taken over many other sites, especially roadside ditches and banks in the National Forest. I am always encountering new infestations of invasive, non native species. In my mind this is not a good situation, but in general nobody seems concerned with the habitat loss.

If I understand correctly, the introduction of Verbascum nigrum is a plus for the site?

When my wife and I get back from doing errands, my wife and I are greeted with contact calls.  ;D  LOUD Three cockatiels and a feisty canary.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #444 on: September 09, 2018, 01:17:24 PM »
Hello Robert, the Verbascum is a new record for the site. Although a native plant in the UK it was probably introduced, along with other species, in stone used for building up a track. Many of the introduced species on the site do not usually last very long. Timothy and cocks-foot (orchard) grasses are native in the UK.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #445 on: September 13, 2018, 12:05:42 PM »
The weather yesterday was pleasant, warm and sunny spells. I met one of the local naturaliists on site and we went looking for insects. As well as the sundew plume moths we saw some Rhododendron leaf hoppers, Graphocephala fennahi. These are thought to have been introduced from America with plants. There were a few caddis flies around and grasshoppers, as well as a bog bush cricket. Grasshoppers have short antennae and crickets have long antennae. There are still a few Agrimony in flower (Agrimonia eupatoria). The seed pods are interesting. They have hooked bristles, similar to burdock, which attach themselves to animal fur to aid distribution. We found several shield bugs including one that may be a Red Legged Shield Bug. Fungi are now more frequent. There was a study by a Leicester University student on the site into why sundews have a red colour. I think the findings were inconclusive. Where sundews are in shade the red colour is reduced or absent. Perhaps sunlight is responsible for the red colour? As we were having a drink before leaving, my companion remarked that we had not heard cranes all day. Right on cue two flew into view. Small frogs were seen in a variety of sites during the day.

A caddis fly.

A green grasshopper.

Bog Bush Cricket which seems to have been attacked and lost a leg and an antennae.

Seed pods of wild iris (Iris pseudacorus).

Agrimony, Agrimonia eupatoria,

ian mcdonald

« Reply #446 on: September 13, 2018, 12:14:15 PM »

Seed pods of agrimony.

Spiked shield bug.

Rhododendron leaf hopper.

A brown boletus?

A small red spider on Rhododendron.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:12:36 PM by ian mcdonald »

ian mcdonald

« Reply #447 on: September 13, 2018, 12:19:37 PM »

A sundew without the red colouration due to growing in the shade of heather.

A fly-past.

No, not a bunch of apples. Seed of bog rosemary.

Birds seen yesterday include, kestrel, hobby, sparrow hawk, canada geese, grey lag geese, teal, snipe, crow, wood pigeon, meadow pipit, reed bunting, stonechat, green woodpecker, marsh harrier, buzzard, house martins, swallows, crane, and lapwings.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:58:58 PM by ian mcdonald »

Robert

« Reply #448 on: September 15, 2018, 06:33:12 PM »
Hi Ian,

I enjoyed the photographs of all the insects.  8)

Agrimony is a bit of a weed in our garden where there is irrigation. It is not so bad and I always let a few plants grow.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #449 on: September 20, 2018, 12:23:14 PM »
Yesterday was very windy, the tail-end of some hurricane or other, no doubt. I met one of the site managers and he showed me a single plant of Black Horehound, Ballota nigra, which had been found. Another new record for the site. He also told me of a "yellow flower" which a botanist friend of his was not able to identify. I went to the area he mentioned but did not find any sign of an unusual plant, I,ll have to get better directions the next time I see him. There were several butterfly in the lee of trees along one path. Mostly speckled wood and also a late small copper. There were many mallard and teal on a couple of large water bodies. Later I saw one of the local naturalists who are studying the sundew plume moth. Despite a search no adults were seen but they may have been keeping low down in the vegetation due to the strong wind. One larva was found on a sundew leaf. Also noticed were sundew rosettes which had small buds in their centres. I wondered if these were next years leaves? Fungi are now on the increase but they are not my sphere of interest as far as identification is concerned. Autumn colours are prominent now. Grasses have mostly lost their seeds. The naturalist I was with had found a gall on a bush which looked to be a possible hybrid willow. Some of the twigs had auricles, suggesting Eared Willow. We saw two Green Sandpiper close to the main track but too far away for a decent photo. Small frogs were encountered in different places. Birds seen were, mallard, teal, marsh harrier, reed bunting, meadow pipit, swallows, house martins, jays, wood pigeons, bullfinch, willow tit, kestrel, crow, snipe and green sandpiper.

Shaggy Inkcap or Lawyers wig.

A "yellow flower" mignonette.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:15:00 PM by ian mcdonald »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal