We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald  (Read 129274 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2016, 03:57:37 PM »
Ian,

How do you take such photographs of the wildlife? Do you use a special lens on your camera? Are there blinds where you can wait for the wildlife to pass by? Maybe you a good at tracking animals?

Anyway I liked the owls.  8)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2016, 04:14:08 PM »
Hello Robert, it is not skill on my part and I don,t usually spend time waiting for wildlife to turn up. The camera is not special although there is a zoom feature on the fixed lens. The owls were first seen by someone from the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (rspb) when we were looking at a site. I approached them by walking at an angle to the tree and looking at the ground.They did not seem concerned by my approach so I stopped and took the picture. The nightjar was seen by luck. I acted as though I had not seen the bird, took the picture and left. Most other pictures of wildlife are just a matter of luck.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2016, 09:08:08 PM »
Fairly quiet today, among the birds seen were lapwings, marsh harriers, fieldfares, redwings, redpoll (about 60), kestrel, great spotted woodpecker, goosander and a red deer img. 1020110.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2016, 09:43:23 PM »
Another quiet cool day, windfarms to the left and windfarms to the right. I suppose they are better than radio-active pollution img 1020115 and 1020116. Autumn scenes img. 1020114, 1020118, 1020119.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2016, 09:52:51 PM »
Among the wildlife seen were marsh harriers, fieldfares, grey lag and pink foot geese, stonechats img. 1020120 and roe deer does img. 1020121 and an inquisitive buck img. 1020126. Whooper swans have arrived img. 1020117.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2016, 04:57:04 PM »
Some of the young Whoopers still looking quite immature - how long till they are in full  adult feathers ?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcdonald

« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2016, 07:42:43 PM »
Maggi, according to birddatabase.com immatures keep some grey feathers until their second winter.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2016, 07:44:41 PM »
Thanks Ian - that's longer than I thought.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2016, 02:58:29 PM »
Ian,

Your "local patch" must be a good stopover point for migratory birds. The Sacramento Valley of California is major stopover for migratory birds on the west coast of North America. I have not seen the Sandhill Cranes yet, however they should be showing up soon. The October rains have turned much of the northern Sacramento Valley into a giant wetlands. Great for the migratory waterfowl. Are the migratory birds coming through in your area? or have already moved on to the south?
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2016, 09:31:36 PM »
Hello Robert, summer visitors such as swallow, swift, martins and hobbys have left for southern europe and africa. Winter visitors including redwing, fieldfare, pink footed goose and whooper swans are arriving from northern areas. We don,t usually get large numbers of winter visitors in our area, perhaps because we are inland. There are a small number of un-common water-fowl (in our area) passing through such as common scoter, pintail, red breasted merganser, goldeneye and bean goose.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2016, 09:41:44 PM »
A cold, dull, rainy day today making photography poor. The wildlife was better than expected, with the first bird seen being a male hen harrier. A visit was paid to the site of a new water pump being prepared, then a walk to a small lake. Birds seen here included whooper swans, goosanders, shovellers, mallards goldeneye and teal. A flock of about 100 mixed redpoll and bramblings were feeding in birch trees. Goldcrests were feeding in low bushes. Pink foot geese and fieldfares were flying over and a water rail was heard calling. Two small flocks of goldfinch were busy feeding on old thistle heads. Three female marsh harriers were sat in a bush. A small mammal, possibly a water shrew ran over the track. Four roe deer were by a track as I left. The sun came out in time to set. There is no shelter on the site to enjoy wildlife while sipping a hot drink. This means you have to look if you want to see. The site of the new pump img. 1020127. Whoopers in line img. 1020130. A whooper with goosanders behind. A goldcrest hiding behind a leaf.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:08:32 PM by ian mcdonald »

ian mcdonald

« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2016, 09:45:16 PM »
Three female marsh harriers in a bush img. 1020137. At last, the sky cleared img. 1020136. Darkness falls img. 1020139.

Robert

« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2016, 02:37:12 AM »
Ian,

It seems like it must have been a nice day to be out rain or shine.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ian mcdonald

« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2016, 02:23:23 PM »
Robert, the wildlife rarely disappoints whatever the weather or time of year. I prefer spring and summer though.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2016, 08:45:59 PM »
A dull, windy day. Photography of birds poor. Among those seen were marsh harrier, grey lag geese, reed buntings, kestrel, redpolls, goosanders, snipe and goldcrest. 2 red deer and a roe deer were also seen. img. 1020152 shows one of the paths. img. 1020156 is of grey lag geese and a canada goose.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal