We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Unusual seeds  (Read 3163 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Unusual seeds
« on: December 29, 2006, 02:55:31 PM »
Hi Guys

Here's a challenge: I'm looking for examples of seed dispersal for a school display. I used to bring out the "teacher demonstration model" when ever I needed an impact, e.g. a Goliath beetle with a 9" wingspan blu-tacked to my wall gets the response "where did you get the bat?" I also used to rear tadpoles in the classroom before it was taboo and then impress with the "teacher demonstration" American Bullfrog (Rana catesbiana) 5" job. Now their import is justifiably banned.

I'm looking for winged and hooked seeds that would "cripple a dinosaur" if they landed on their heads (no, not a coco de mer) or hooked into their skin. I have seen these at botanic gardens and know that some of the huge double-winged seeds belong to tropical trees from places like Borneo, and it's just possible that someone may have some from a foreign trip in a cupboard somewhere?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Unusual seeds
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 03:47:41 PM »
I saw something that might enoy if not kill a dino.
It was from a pine of some sort that produced half a meter to a meter of bard wire with torns like roses but only torns if You get what I meen. Atleast it might be a trouble if the dino stepped on it and got blood poison. I will see if I can get identify it better. It had hooks but maybe not so much wings.
Hope You will find something good.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 10:21:55 PM »
Here are two pics og the seedpod I saw.
It was not as razor sharp as I remmbered but the tipps of the pod i very pointy.

The shiny thing is a 1€(20mm) coin for size.

The first picture show a few a gathered and the later is a close up. The structure is similar to the "leaf" of a pine mixed with "normal leaf". But with a sharp end.
There were no name on the tree.
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:43:06 AM »
Take a look at the seeds that Kristl Walek has on her homepage:
http://gardensnorth.com/site/

There's a big shiny black one with two horns that might do the trick.
I have no idea what it is, but I'm sure Kristl would tell you.

Diane
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal