We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Seed Exchange 2016-17 No. 70  (Read 27080 times)

Carolyn

Re: SRGC Seed Exchange 2016-17 No. 70
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2016, 07:27:05 PM »
I will pass on your messages to the rest of the team!
We only do it for the cake...
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 11:13:05 PM »
My comment about 3 or 4 times a year was, of course, made with my tongue firmly in my cheek. As well as anyone I'm aware of what a brilliant job all the seed packers and distributers do. I've had many fine plants over many years, from the seed exchange and I appreciate it and the efforts of everyone concerned, hugely.

It seems that we've now had the discussion and the status quo is the result. That's fine by me. I've always offered special seed to members out of seed list time and will continue that practice. We in NZ are totally reliant on seeds for replacement of plants lost so my warm thanks everyone concerned with the exchange, from the garden harvesters to the man who delivers the mail at this end (a woman and her dog actually).

Hope you have some good cakes this year Carolyn. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 07:03:47 PM »
Online ordering for the 70th Seed Exchange of the SRGC will go live on 1st December.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Jonna

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2016, 07:46:01 PM »
Thank you for this post. Now we can prepare our wishlists  :)
zone 6 Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2016, 09:39:50 PM »
Online ordering  for  the latest Seed Exchange - No. 70 -   of the Scottish Rock Garden Club will become active later tomorrow morning.

A note will of course be posted here, as well as on the main site, when the online seed ordering system goes live.
All instructions for the seed exchange are clearly explained in the pages available when the seed system goes live http://www.srgc.net/site/index.php/extensions/seed-exchange

To begin you will need the  special access password to begin registration ( before you choose your own password) - then you will need your membership number - these can be found in your online profile page for e-membership subscribers  and the password is shown in the printed list and in the Secretary's Pages from July 2016 - link elsewhere on this page or from the main Seed Ex. page of the SRGC site.
From the main Seed Exchange page of the website  http://www.srgc.net/site/index.php/extensions/seed-exchange  you will have access also to a copy of the list to download and browse at your leisure as well as the link to the registration process.
 With something like 35 thousand packets of seed from 7500 donations, there is not really a great rush to order in the first five minutes!
 Please be aware that those using hotmail  and similar free email addresses provided by microsoft will not receive the automated emails to activate their  online registrations - this is something we have warned about  for several years and over which we have no control. These email providers will not even have the emails in a spam filter, they delete them altogether.

Also please be aware that if you access the ordering system via a work computer  the firewalls of those systems may not allow access to the system and emails either. Again these are problems which we have warned about previously.

Those making  postal seed requests may pay online - but PLEASE -  if you are ordering online, DO NOT PAY until you have completed your order fully.  In that  case you will be asked to pay again and your  order will not  complete.

We are confident that if you read the instructions as you pass through the process and follow the instructions you will access the system successfully and easily make your seed order as so many members do each year.   You will appreciate that we do not have the capacity to provide individual  directions for each member.
 Seed requests must reach the Seed Request Manager, Neil McNulty, by the deadline of 15 January 2017.
  Note: all seed correspondence, lists and queries should be sent to:
  seed@srgc.org.uk

This is a link to the seedlist for you to download to read at leisure :
  http://files.srgc.net/seedexchange/SRGCseedlist70.pdf

The seed distribution will begin in early January and all main requests will be sent out by late January. Donors’ seed requests are completed first, then non-donors in order of their arrival date, followed by surplus seed requests. This means that main and surplus requests are sent out separately and may arrive a few weeks apart. The whole distribution should be completed by the end of January.

Please allow for delays in the postal system  and wait until after 5th February before enquiring about the whereabouts of your seed.

All Seed Exchange contact details may be found in the Seed Exchange pages of the main site.

A note will of course be posted here, as well as on the main site, when the online seed ordering system goes live.

Remember that, as usual,  if you 're not sure  what a particular plant is - you can click the  option in the online system to "google" it  ;)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:37:09 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 11:27:49 AM »
Online ordering for the 70th Seed Exchange of the SRGC is now live

- starting point

- this page of the main website

To begin you will need the  special access password to begin registration ( before you choose your own password) - then you will need your membership number - these can be found in your online profile page for e-membership subscribers  and the password is shown in the printed list and in the Secretary's Pages from July 2016 - link elsewhere on this page or from the main Seed Ex. page of the SRGC site.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:46:18 PM by Maggi Young »

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2016, 04:35:25 PM »
Is anyone having trouble with the online ordering system?

I get to request #18 and then it stops working, or at least stops recording my seed request. The same is true with the substitute list - it gets to a certain point and then just stops recording the request.

Maybe I just have bad luck with computers!  :-\

or maybe there is a programing error.  :-X
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2016, 04:46:57 PM »
Hello Robert, not sure what might be happening. Are you a seed donor and did you tick that box to confirm that?  Otherwise it  may be  stopping you at 16 choices as a non-donor.
 Other orders going through okay.

edit to add:  Tested the system again for donor status ordering and no problem found - possibly some  break in Robert's connection. Will hear later how he gets on.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:38:19 PM by Maggi Young »

ian mcdonald

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »
I received the seed list this morning and returned completed form this afternoon. I suppose this is the old fashioned way but I prefer it.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2016, 08:18:51 PM »
I received the seed list this morning and returned completed form this afternoon. I suppose this is the old fashioned way but I prefer it.
As is your right, of course - the notes here are for those seeking to order and pay online - and of course  online ordering and payment is the simplest  route for the Seed Team.

joost

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 08:48:57 PM »
J am not able to log in to Order or pay for your seed online folder.
It says that either my membership number or my password is invalid. But they are correct.
Are there more people having problems?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 09:00:57 PM »
Joost,  you cannot log in until you have registered and activated an account each year. It may be you  have not  done that  -  please send me your  full name so I can check your membership status. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:10:44 PM by Maggi Young »

joost

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 09:02:33 PM »
I am registered as Tjitske Bruinsma.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 09:13:06 PM »
Joost, you have not registered and activated a seed account for this year. Please return to the Seed Ex. pages and follow the instructions. You need the web password to begin, then you need your membership number - you can find both of those things on your online profile page where you log in as an e-member to see  the Journals to download etc.

joost

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 09:16:26 PM »
Oke, thanks. I will try it.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal