We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: great snowdrop catalogue  (Read 2370 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
great snowdrop catalogue
« on: February 29, 2008, 02:17:07 AM »
How's your memory these days?

???

johnw

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 02:25:56 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: great snowdrop catalogue
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:13:35 AM »
Would this be Helen and Phillip Ballard's catalogue for snowdrops and hellebores, from the 1970s?
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

johnw

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 03:24:14 PM »
Would this be Helen and Phillip Ballard's catalogue for snowdrops and hellebores, from the 1970s?

Yes!  Too bad I hadn't ordered some Galanthus. The prices are quite surprising.  I used to call Helen B. but the conversation never turned to Galanthus - a real pity. I think Philip was dead by the early 1980's and the G.'s were his domain. Am I mistaken or was she a snowie as well?

johnw

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 03:46:10 PM »
I was visiting the Ballards until the late 70s and very early 80s but didn't see them after that as I moved further away from their house and nursery.

The snowdrops were originally Helen's and (in my mother's opinion at least) Helen was the better plantsperson and better snowdrop grower, but Phillip took over the marketing and selling of the snowdrops (my mother says Helen 'let' him take over the snowdrops).

He was also very proud of his home-made cider and perry. They had orchards, and an old horse-powered cider press in a cellar below the house - which he converted to machine power by linking it to an old motorbike with which he turned the press by riding  the bike round and round! I recall a couple of visits that involved drinking copious quantities of murky farmhouse cider - and a pretty sore head the next day!
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

johnw

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 04:44:21 PM »
Martin  - Thanks for this information, she was an awesome plantswoman and 30 years later her hellebore hybrids still hold up against the best.

john

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal