We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 1515 times)

gw

Advice please
« on: May 23, 2016, 12:12:15 AM »
Hi all,
            My first post so please be gentle!  Many of my pleione which are smaller than flowering size put up more than one growth which means I end the season with more Psudobulbs but still not flowering size. Is there any way to encourage them in the right direction or is it just that they are vigorous varieties and that is what they do.
               gw

vigor

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 03:55:47 AM »
I‘m not sure this method works but I tried to get rid of all small buds and just leave the strongest bud to a pseudobulb  of my hybrid seedlings to push them to  run up to a flower size  early.

SteveC2

Re: Advice please
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »
Feed feed feed.  I am still experimenting with exactly what to use but your first step is to increase the amount you used last year.  As for what, this depends on your varieties as some species don't like too much, but assuming hybrids, then I use 1/3 to 1/2 strength miracle grow weekly early in the season (nitrogen for the leaf) and 1/2 strength tomorite later on.  Some of my friends report good growth using the orchid fertiliser Akerne's Rain Mix every watering so some of my surplus Tongariro are acting as Guinea pigs this year.
I would not be removing growths as a healthy bulb should be able to produce two new bulbs, although I have no experience with seedlings.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal