We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Anniversary Offer : free membership for students  (Read 8089 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: SRGC Anniversary Offer : free membership for students
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 10:05:24 AM »
Maggi,

I'm still at school so do I qualify?

Paddy (23 on next birthday)

You wish! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 11:08:55 AM »
Paddy, age limit is for actual years, not mental age!!  ;)  :'(I  know this because it is what Ian and I were told when we applied because we had a combined mental age of about twelve and thought we were sure-fire candidates.  :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 11:19:32 AM »
Paddy,

If you're going to start making age claims like that you REALLY need to think ahead and change your profile beforehand.  It tells us you're 54, so the 23 claim is already looking on slightly shaky ground..... even if you do claim that the picture in your avatar isn't yourself and is instead your father!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Iturraran

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 12:02:45 PM »
Besides the two EXCELLENT journals, we overseas members have the unique opportunity to enjoy the Seed Exchange and its zillions of rare seeds!. I belong to many horticultural societies, but the SRGC Seed Exchange is my absolute fav.
I first heard about SRGC twenty years ago, when browsing as a hungry mouse throughout the library of Peter Cox of Glendoick, where I was spending a very ccccold -but wonderful- Summer  :-\ learning about rhododendrons and other ericacee and splendid plants, such as Meconopsis and rare Primula, to which I was hooked ever since. The high quality of the SRGC journals called my attention, and soon I became, first a regular member, then life member so I do not have to worry anymore about payments. I enjoy being a SRGC member inmensely  :)
Jose
Iturraran Botanical Garden
Basque Country, Northern Coastal Spain
Humid ocenic climate, Z9
http://www.iturraran.blogspot.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 12:19:20 PM »
How wonderful, an unsolicited testimonial from a happy Member.  8)   José, we can only say how delighted we are to have such  an excellent membership! :-*

fred

• Terrorchid
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 05:22:07 AM »
Hi,

is this applicable to non-UK students, it's probably not planned I guess. Anyway, excellent initiative !

regards,
Fred (student, Belgium)

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 01:39:15 PM »
Hi, Fred, the offer was originally made to UK students, but it has been decided that all applicants should be given a chance to apply......so, there you go, apply now!
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Anastasia

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 08:27:43 PM »
Maggi!
I had a question concerning foreign students - but I have already understood, that applications will be considered and from foreigners. The second question - the student should be botanic?  :o

My senior son the student of college. But it the future doctor. The son very much likes to put and grow up various plants in ours to a garden. (however this hobby of all our family ;D).

Whether probably to my son to submit the application? ???

I very much wish to become a member of club, but have not understood yet as it to make...  ::)
Anastasia
Russia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 09:37:08 PM »
Anastasia, yes, your son may certainly apply for a membership because he has an interest in plants. It is important that future doctors understand the plant world also, is it not! ;) :D

For yourself, see the pages about membership, beginning here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/member/member.html

You can apply by post or online if you wish to pay by a credit card. We are very pleased to have Russian members! 8)

Anastasia

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 12:10:43 AM »
Maggi!

Thanks for kind words.  :)
I have understood conditions of membership of club. Simply at all of us rests against ways of payment. There are some difficulties. Not all our credit cards suit for payment.  >:(
But I shall solve this small problem and I shall join you   ;)

The son has left to fill the application ;D ;D
Anastasia
Russia.

Craig

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 10:37:46 PM »
Hello Maggi,
It may be that all the places have been filled already for this great offer but I will chance an enquiry anyway. I am starting the Diploma of Horticulture at Kew in September  ;D and can't wait to get my time in the Alpine section. I'd be so thrilled to get a free membership but was horrified to learn that "student" means under 25  :'(. I will be a student of the "mature" variety. Is this really my first case of "Bog off Grandad" ?

Yours, feeling wrinkly,

Craig (Aged 36 and 3 quarters)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:17:47 AM by Craig »
in London, presently studying at Kew

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 10:22:02 AM »
Craig, I'm not sure if the offer has been fully taken up or not... and 36 and three quarters is VERY OLD.... I know this, because I was born in 1953 and, while completely ancient, I can just remember that 36 and 3/4 was pretty old even  back then! ;D
However, hope, as they say, costs nothing, so why don't you apply to Julia Corden and see what happens! :)
Good luck!

Paul E.

• Home is where the bog is
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 10:38:16 PM »
I guess I am one of the lucky 75! I got my free membership this year, and have really enjoyed it, was surprised at how good I found the Rock Garden publication.

I wonder if any of the other student members have made it on to the forum... maybe we should start our own thread. Not to discriminate against the more 'seasoned' members of course  ;)
Paul - pursuing Himalayan alpines down at 2m above sea level

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 11:00:10 PM »
Nice of you to check in, Paul.
 I can't imagine why you would be "surprised" at the quality of the Rock Garden journal though.... after all, the world-wide membership of the SRG is made up of enthusiastic growers and plantspeople from just about every country and many of those are at the very top of their chosen fields...... for instance,there are few top-rate Botanic Gardens around the world who have no SRGC members within their staffs....for many of the very best ones, their involvement starts with the Directors whoare often contributors to the Journal. Then there are the articles from some of the most highly skilled exhibitors, growers and propagators of alpine plants... bar none.... then there are the plant hunters... folks like Ron McBeath......no, I am surprised you were surprised... but hey, NOW you know... and you'll be able to tell all your peers about this great Club......and the other fantastic things the SRGC are invloved in, of particular interest to you younger persons!!! Such as the magnificant Diana Aitchison Grant Fund, for example.... I rather think you have first hand experience of that, eh??!!! 8) There are not many organisations like the SRGC with that kind of grant-giving "clout"........ well, now I see this sort of thing in black and white before me.... yes, I suppose we ARE pretty surprising!!!  8) 8)

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2008, 07:28:16 PM »
And, you forgot Maggi,

and this is from my perusing of the journal over the last 75 years - no, let me rephrase that - this if from my perusing of the last 75 years of the journal.

Something the SRGC journal has that no other journal has is the many, many articles on troughs. It really seems to be a Scottish speciality (I was going to say 'obsession' but thought better of it)

So, SRGC journal for troughs! Yes!

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal