We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula cawdoriana  (Read 2477 times)

Tristan_He

Primula cawdoriana
« on: May 19, 2016, 10:36:42 PM »
I managed to procure some of these from the very wonderful Kevock Nursery this year. (be warned - the resting buds are the most miserable looking things you have ever seen and look quite dead - in fact Kevock even gave me a refund for a couple of these specimens! I repaid them when it became clear that they were 'just resting'. They are doing well so far (though the very cool damp spring has suited them). I'm hoping for seed now so I can increase them. They are planted on their side in a northwest facing crevice garden that is shaded from direct sunlight by the house for most of the day. Anyone else have any in flower yet?

534802-0

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Primula cawdoriana
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 12:58:52 AM »
Well done Tristan. This is a real treasure. I had it for a few years from Jack Drake seed - long, long time ago but eventually lost it. It never set seed for me though I don't remember that I hand pollinated it and probably should have. Mine had a wider flower, quite bell-shaped and with claw-like lobes. The same rich blue though and quite powdery.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tristan_He

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:29:20 PM »
Well... I don't think I deserve much credit for these Lesley. Bought in January and have not managed to kill them yet! The weather has been absolutely perfect this spring for Himalayan stuff too - cool and showery. I'm hoping for a good display from the Meconopsis.

I think I will hand pollinate these as the tubes are long and narrow - not sure what would be able to pollinate them. Moths perhaps?

Tristan_He

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:55:48 PM »
I thought I'd update this thread. All three of my cawdorianas set seed, although seed set was not amazing. It appears hand pollination is essential. The crop was not enough to send to the SRGC seed exchange but I have been sharing it privately. I've also taken the precaution of sowing some of it myself and banking a packet in the freezer. I even scattered a little nearby although I think self seeding of this species is probably ludicrously optimistic.

The above notwithstanding, the rosettes have bulked up nicely. All look healthy and have multiple crowns. Fingers crossed!

544813-0

544811-1

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal