We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: May 2016 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 3648 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: May 2016 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 02:20:20 AM »
Not too wet David, just haven't got around to doing the resizing thing yet. I feel I'm letting the side down.

We had such rain over the weekend and Monday but this morning a severe (first) frost. A bucket of water near the garage had centimetre thick ice on it. Really cold for the first one. Lovely day to follow though. :) After the rain and with a clear sky late yesterday I thought we'd have a good frost so covered my Bill Dijk lachenalias, many species and hybrids of bulbs and 7 pots of seedlings and a few other things as well like Bulbine frutescens which I lost last year. So pleased I did that.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 02:23:48 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 06:13:11 AM »
We've had serious rain over the last four days. Temperature still in double figures though.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 11:07:44 AM »
I phoned my sister in Tauranga yesterday morning, for her 80th birthday. There was so much background noise I could barely hear her. She said it was rain bucketing down!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Jeffnz

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 08:40:50 PM »
The long hot summer here in the Wairarapa has also ended abruptly with a good amount of rain over a number of days, gardeners and farmers will both be happy. No real cold yet, day temps still in double figures.
The continued warm weather has resulted in no germination of last years hellebore seed pots hope there is as in past dry summers germination rates were well down. Tried to keep seed pots moist at all times but not always that easy when temps are heading towards the mid 30's each day.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 06:54:21 PM »
I don't have many Crocus in my collection (2 in fact - :P) but, this one's a cracker: Crocus cartwrightianus.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 09:59:56 AM »
Crocus laevigatus from Marcus (sown April 2014) and C. hyemalis from Oron (sown September 2014) flowering today. Massonia sp. from Hans (sown August 2011).
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal