We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Podophyllum 2016  (Read 8050 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Re: Podophyllum 2016
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2016, 10:23:29 PM »
John,
thanks for the infos.  I'll attempt some crosses with Spotty Dotty, as who knows.  Beginners luck, maybe.  Do you know if the seed stores well, or does it prefer immediate planting. I need to keep my eyes out for some, as well as other clones.

I took two shots, today.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2016, 12:25:09 AM »
Who knows, indeed but do use SD's pollen.

Send me a PM in September and I'll send you some seed.  We collect just before the seed pods drop, clean - a horribl;e slimey job, place in ziplock bags in damp live sphagnum moss and store in the refrigerator for 3 months, then sow.  You could plant right away, keep the soil evenly moist outdoors and let them emerge on spring.

john
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 12:26:53 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Regelian

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2016, 07:17:58 PM »
Thanks for the offer, John.  I'll report back on the pollination attempts.

cheers,
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

P. Kohn

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2016, 01:30:40 PM »
Big sheets of P. peltatatum in flower in the Botanic Gardens bit P. hexandrum only just emerging. I guess the separation of P. hexandrum as Sinopodophyllum hexandrum makes sense ?

Philip Walker

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2016, 12:21:47 PM »
Podophyllum hexandrum-sown December 2010

johnw

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2016, 10:40:34 PM »
Now here's a puzzle and I cannot say I've ever seen this phenomenom to date.  This Podo - pleianthum or versipelle or a hybrid between the two - surfaced normally and with a good deal of vigour this spring.  The leaf was extremely thickened, almost like a tetraploid.  However it failed to expand, started to turn black and then was engulfed in the horrible brown-black streaking.  Nevertheless it bravely tried to open its flowers.  Binned.

Initially I suspected virus and it may well be that.  We also get the odd plant that has yellow segments in the leaves and we've been tossing them too, I suppose all not surprising given the numbers we grow.  Anyone with experience in these matters?

johnw
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:23:44 AM by johnw »

Regelian

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2016, 07:59:35 AM »
That reminds me of Fusarium or Botrytis, which I occaisionally see in other plants during the wet Spring, especially when we have sudden warm spells.

Thanks for sharing the fotos!  As I am aquiring as many Podos as I can find at the moment........ forewarned.

j.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

johnw

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2016, 03:01:59 PM »
Jamie  - Thanks.  Our springs are usually wet, foggy and damp so with only one plant so affected it must not be a common problem.  The green bin was the right place for it.  The thickening of the leaves is rather odd though.

john

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal