We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus - scientific paper just published  (Read 1496 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Narcissus - scientific paper just published
« on: April 12, 2016, 11:26:28 AM »
Friend Sue sent through this message .... "I’ve just seen this paper – while I don’t pretend to understand it – it seems like it could be a useful tool?"
Well I don't understand it - but some of you might....  see here for an introduction.....
 http://blogs.reading.ac.uk/crg/microsatellite-markers-for-dna-based-identification-of-narcissus-cultivars/

The first major refereed paper to emerge from Kalman’s thesis was published online today: MICROSATELLITE MARKERS FOR HOOP-PETTICOAT DAFFODILS (NARCISSUS SECT. BULBOCODII; AMARYLLIDACEAE) Applications in Plant Sciences 2016 4 (4): 1500127 - here is the direct link for the paper:

http://www.bioone.org/doi/full/10.3732/apps.1500127   
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
Re: Narcissus - scientific paper just published
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:37:56 PM »
Good to see some papers coming through from this work, but this one only tells us about the technique rather than any findings re. taxonomy :(  Hopefully there are more papers on the way.
I think there have been three RHS supported PhDs so far (Sections Bulbocodium, Ganymedes and started recently Jonquillae and Apodanthi). Some time before the whole genus is covered...
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal