We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: new Pleione natural hybrids from China  (Read 3090 times)

vigor

new Pleione natural hybrids from China
« on: April 06, 2016, 04:28:19 AM »
The natural hybridisation in the genus Pleione may be more widespread than is currently considered.
Here are two examples.
the first one may be P. albiflora X P. yunnanensis, which was found in Baoshan, west Yunnan Province. The plant was found in a vally  at elevation of 2400m,  and the supposed parents were found co-occurring in this locality.
The second one was found in north Guangxi Province, which I gusse is P. hookeriana X P. pleionoides.(photos at )

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
Re: new Pleione natural hybrids from China
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 05:59:11 PM »
Hi Vigor,
I am trying to look at the second hybrid you talk about but I can only see a picture gallery starting with P. hookeriana, followed by lots of landscape and shrub pictures. Where should I look?
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

vigor

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 02:50:28 AM »
Hi Vigor,
I am trying to look at the second hybrid you talk about but I can only see a picture gallery starting with P. hookeriana, followed by lots of landscape and shrub pictures. Where should I look?
the second hybrid is the first picture you see under the name “P. hookeriana”.
more pictures http://www.cfh.ac.cn/spdb/TaxonNodeTree.aspx?spid=52101
because there is not a name for this plant, I had to identify this one as P. hookeriana. there are other pictures representing the true P. hookeriana in this link.

karel_t

• Pleione Wizard's Apprentice
    • The Czech Pleione Website
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 11:32:44 AM »
Hi Vigor,
I think you are right. This plant is very similar to Paul's P. Siamang.
I'm convinced that in the wild are many still unnamed natural hybrids. I attach the map where I marked species what grow in Sichuan and North Yunnan. We can see that areas of individual species are overlapped, so by my opinion there must be many F1 or F2, ... hybrids.
Sometimes is appeared some "new" species in China. I'm convinced, that 99,99% of them are natural hybrids.
K.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:34:04 PM by karel_t »
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

vigor

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 02:25:03 PM »
A couple of days ago I went north Guangxi Province personally in order to confirm the second natural hybrid. It turns out that these plants are probably the natural hybrids between P. hookeriana and P. pleionoides(? or bulbocodioides) although only the P. hookeriana  parent was found grow mixed with the hybrid.
P. hookeriana was found between 1350m to 2000m, the hybrid was lower at 1350 to 1600m

vigor

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 02:27:38 PM »
the mountain,Picture from the nature reserve‘s website

vigor

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 04:05:06 AM »
lips comparisons of the two hybrids and their suspected parents

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal