We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulbs for Early Shade  (Read 2258 times)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Bulbs for Early Shade
« on: February 23, 2008, 06:06:18 PM »
The plot shown in these pictures is on the north side of a conifer hedge. In summer it is our arisaema and lilium bed and looks great. In winter the sun never touches the area between the path and the hedge from October to March. At the moment the plot is pretty bare in mid winter and we want to get some winter colour into it.
 I am thinking bulbs so that the foliage has died back before the summer season comes in. Galanthus is likely to be the main genus and Eranthis will help to break the white colour.
Can anyone suggest bulbs that will flower between December and March (say snowdrop season for those who's snowdrops do not come out until April). The site gets no sun but has a clear view of the sky overhead and the snow and frost tend to linger a little longer.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Bulbs for Early Shade
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 07:31:45 PM »
The obvious choice would be Cyclamen coum which should suit your site. I have Puschkinia (?) doing well under a weeping willow, and some of my crocus do OK under there too.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 07:38:55 PM »
Can anyone suggest bulbs that will flower between December and March

Cyclamen coum would be perfect,I have a similar site filled with them and it works perfect.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 05:02:34 AM »
I'd add to that Cyclamen hederifolium..... no leaves while the Arisaemas or Liliums are in flower, then as the Liliums finish there'll be a mass of flowers amongst the stems, adding colour low down, then the leaves will emerge to give you "colour" during winter.  If you choose the right varieties as well (e.g silver leaf forms or something like that) you could get a really good display just from the leaves, then the coum will burst through into flower as well.

Other possibilities would be the autumn species of Crocus, although only some of them would tolerate "no" sun.  I guess it depends how much light is in there while they're in growth.  Even Trillium rivale or some of the early types, to give you some colour before the Arisaema etc?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 09:56:59 AM »
The obvious choise for me is woodland Corydalis I.e. solida cultivars, bracteata (selfsterile) malkensis (oops white) The east Asian blues are later.
Corydalis solida 'Munich Sunrise' is among the earliest pinks. I am in a hurry now so I cannot post any pictures.
Pulmonaria rubra 'Redstart' is also very early but in another size class.
Eranthis hiemalis goes very well too. and perhaps the little weed Ranunculus ficaria.
Scilla miczenkoana is also very early and will grow in shady positions.

Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 10:59:34 AM »
The white Pushkinia will look good and the early Scilla mischtschenkoana. Anenome blanda 'White Splendour", Hyacinthoides
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. There is plenty to go on here.
I hadn't particularly thought of cyclamen but sowed some garden seed a couple of years ago and these can go out this year. Another advantage of the Scillas mentioned is that visitors will soon learn to stop asking what they are called!
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 10:45:08 AM »
Sorry David, I've missed to read this thread!
You could try Crocus tommasiniaus, banaticus, kotschyanus and speciosus, which tolerate shade very well in my garden.

Also some Hepatica's would look good!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 07:16:51 AM »
I have Cyclamen, Hepaticas, Erythronium dens-canis and Shortias
 in my Arisaema bed.  Most of these have handsome leaves as well
as flowers. 

Lilies have to go in the fenced vegetable garden to protect them from deer.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal