We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus February 2016  (Read 30365 times)

jrd

Re: Crocus February 2016
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2016, 10:27:58 PM »
A belated photo of a way-too-advanced pot of Crocus pelistericus (from MESE380 sown in 2000) taken on 8th January 2016.

In a more normal year I'd expect it to flower from February to early March.  The flowers usually open sequentially rather than in a single burst, but in this crazy winter the first flowers emerged at the end of November and the final ones last week, a span of some 13 weeks which is taking it to extremes!

Apologies for the rather rushed photo, the pot was hurriedly left in the kitchen before I dashed off to work so that the pollen would be ready for the paint brush later... 

John
John Dixon

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2016, 10:59:55 AM »
Crocus cvijicii JJA 343.600, ex Greece.  Flowers are scented and in chrome-yellow to orange yellow, different colour to other forms I grow.

Cyril that is really lovely. Cvijicii can be the nicest of them all. Perhaps it's the  combination of the darker tips and the goblet shape which I like
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2016, 11:01:01 AM »
A belated photo of a way-too-advanced pot of Crocus pelistericus (from MESE380 sown in 2000) taken on 8th January 2016.

In a more normal year I'd expect it to flower from February to early March.  The flowers usually open sequentially rather than in a single burst, but in this crazy winter the first flowers emerged at the end of November and the final ones last week, a span of some 13 weeks which is taking it to extremes!

Apologies for the rather rushed photo, the pot was hurriedly left in the kitchen before I dashed off to work so that the pollen would be ready for the paint brush later... 

John

Nice pot
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2016, 11:11:39 AM »
Cvijicii and pelistericus are two of the very best, aren't they?  So beautiful.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »
Sadly I've missed many of my crocus at their best. Here are a few that were recently in flower:

Crocus vaclavii

Crocus sieberi -a form from Mt. Parnassos

Crocus roseoviolaceus

Crocus abantensis
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2016, 03:20:25 PM »
I probably said it last year, but Crocus roseoviolaceus is stunning!
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2016, 03:23:31 PM »
Cracking images as usual Steve
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2016, 05:36:52 PM »
Many thanks David.

Roseoviolaceus is indeed a wee cracker Matt. It is slowly clumping up in a pot and seems to benefit from being kept on the cool side over summer (a relatively simple task here in Scotland! ;) ).
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2016, 06:09:15 PM »
Oh, this sweet sweet retirement. Finally came day when I can all my time dedicate only to crocuses and some other lovely things. Last 2-3 days were incredibly rich in new discoveries. I feel as botanist of old times, who sitting in his Herbarium browsing sheet after sheet, and then suddenly stopping! Yes, it is something really new! Only instead of Herbarium sheets I'm browsing crocus pots of old gatherings with whom I never had time for identification. And during those days I three times cried "YES - it is new one!" And separable not by number of hairs in flower's throat ;D ;D ;D visible only by microscope, but separable by real features, which every one can observe even without clock-masters lance. Some soon will be published.

Here I'm giving two pictures from one of that trio - note the length of filaments - they are longer than anthers! Look in throat - it is deep purple in centre. Look on colour of filaments!  Of course, about that one I still must to check all new species from HKEP - may be I forgot about some, but my first opinion - it is really new one.

The other pictures are more ordinary things - two unusual colour forms of C. abantensis, and marvellous C. baytopiorum pictured at Liga's Nursery.

Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2016, 06:11:32 PM »
Crocus cvijicii JJA 343.600, ex Greece.  Flowers are scented and in chrome-yellow to orange yellow, different colour to other forms I grow.

Cvijicii is lovely in general but this more orange form is outstanding!

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2016, 06:12:12 PM »
Many thanks David.

Roseoviolaceus is indeed a wee cracker Matt. It is slowly clumping up in a pot and seems to benefit from being kept on the cool side over summer (a relatively simple task here in Scotland! ;) ).

With me it stay in greenhouse all the year round - no problems, but it really is heart-braker.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2016, 06:13:23 PM »
Cvijicii is lovely in general but this more orange form is outstanding!

Poul
It is quite typical for Greece colour, at type localituy in Republic of Macedonia it is much paler.

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2016, 06:18:39 PM »

John

A well grown pot of this difficult, but very beautiful Crocus. Congratulation!

Poul

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2016, 06:29:34 PM »
Oh, this sweet sweet retirement. Finally came day when I can all my time dedicate only to crocuses and some other lovely things. Last 2-3 days were incredibly rich in new discoveries. I feel as botanist of old times, who sitting in his Herbarium browsing sheet after sheet, and then suddenly stopping! Yes, it is something really new! Only instead of Herbarium sheets I'm browsing crocus pots of old gatherings with whom I never had time for identification. And during those days I three times cried "YES - it is new one!" And separable not by number of hairs in flower's throat ;D ;D ;D visible only by microscope, but separable by real features, which every one can observe even without clock-masters lance. Some soon will be published.

Here I'm giving two pictures from one of that trio - note the length of filaments - they are longer than anthers! Look in throat - it is deep purple in centre. Look on colour of filaments!  Of course, about that one I still must to check all new species from HKEP - may be I forgot about some, but my first opinion - it is really new one.

The other pictures are more ordinary things - two unusual colour forms of C. abantensis, and marvellous C. baytopiorum pictured at Liga's Nursery.

Janis

Very exiting with these new species! We all benefit of your retirement. I wish you luck with your new discoveries. The first one is really different.

Poul

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2016, 06:38:14 PM »
Very exiting with these new species! We all benefit of your retirement. I wish you luck with your new discoveries. The first one is really different.

Poul
It something resembles two species of HKEP - multicostatus, but at present leraves are too small to be cut for checking of ribs, and another is incognitus - but the mine hes deep purple in throat, anthers are shorter than filaments and filaments are of different colour. So may be too early to cry - hurrah. Still must to check. In any case it would be fantastic addition to my collection.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal