We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November Downunder  (Read 21903 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
November Downunder
« on: November 15, 2006, 10:25:10 PM »
If you make it, they will come......
So, here's the re-starting of the Downunder topic!
This is a western Australian native shrug which is dwarf enough in our conditions to keep in the rock garden without even pruning it (though it probably would look better if it was pruned!).

cheers
fermi
Redesdale, Victoria, Australia
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: November Downunder
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 10:28:59 PM »
Hi, Fermi, great to have you back with us, especially since our weather is getting more miserable!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 10:37:51 PM »
Thanks, Maggi.
November in Victoria has turned quite bizarre! We had a blast of cold air from Antarctica which brought snow to parts of the state on Wednesday! Unfortunately not a lot of rain to these parts. We should be back into 30C temps by the same time next week!
cheers
fermi
Redesdale, Victoria, Australia
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 11:02:43 PM »
So, another blunder I think. I posted 5 mins ago here but it hasn't appeared, though there's a message sayingWarning - while you were reading a new reply ....... so maybe that's mine. I need to see it because I don't know if the pics are there. There was a note somewhere else about being able to see one's post after posting it. Can't find that either, but I have found the New Topic button. I was looking in the wrong place.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 11:04:30 PM »
So there's the pic I posted (one of two, the other the same but with 284KBs) but where's the text that went with it?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 11:52:58 PM »
Lesley, if you want to immediately see your post in the thread after you've posted, I found that you need to do this: Click 'profile' to go to your profile section, under 'modify profile' click 'look and layout', then tick the box that says 'return to topics after posting by default' then click 'change profile'.

Then, when you've posted, your screen immediately goes back to the thread and you can see your post, check photos have appeared etc.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 08:43:32 PM »
Hi Fermi

I've heard of a Gallic Shrug but not an Aussie one   ;D
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 11:15:35 PM »
One for Lesley--Asteranthera ovata seemingly enjoying the cool wet conditions of late.Only had 3 or 4 flowers last year however multiple blooms currently.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 11:21:19 PM »
I can see this is going to be a slow process until i figure out how to send multiple pics in the one posting.In the meantime it will increase my posting stats.(Smile).

An Iris species grown from seed but label missing .Any ideas please.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 11:26:07 PM »
Weldenia candida.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 11:33:10 PM »
Next a couple of South Africans--While weeding in this plot recently i came across this Moraea flowering for the first time.Although the label is missing,(again!),i remember planting a few bulbs of M.papilionacea i had raised from seed so that's what it could be.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 12:10:11 AM by t00lie »

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 11:47:23 PM »
Gladiolus brevitubus purchased earlier this year from suplus bulbs x Christchurch Botanical Gardens.While it's now planted in the alpine house was outside all winter uncovered.Might try a few more species if i can lay my mitts on 'em' as they seem hardier down here than what i previously thought.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 11:57:22 PM »
Fritillaria lanceolata a member of the affinis group?.As this one always flowers here late when other plants i have as affinis are well over, i've never been able to compare them.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 12:02:21 AM »
Finally Calceolaria fothergillii?.Thanks for all your patience .Cheers Dave

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 04:48:59 AM »
Had a look at my reference book on cape bulbs ,(Manning, Goldblatt and Snijman), and it appears the Moraea i posted above is more likely to be M.ramoissima.You all knew that didn't you ?. :-\

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal